Thread: Where to start? A life in Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Where to start? A life in Linux

I am a self confessed newbie. However I would like to begin to learn a little more than following a short bit of script from a magazine or following advice from a thread posted on these pages, although I am not ungrateful or stupid!! ( well maybe not). Being in my 4th age not sure a career is applicable, maybe more a carer. But advice from those with better perspectives very welcome. Is it HTML and scripts, JAVA or C++ or Python or spendign my time enjoying Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Where to start? A life in Linux

Not entirely certain of your question, but if I do understand it correctly, your asking what if any markup, scripting, or programming language you should learn? If so, the first thing to ascertain is what you want to do with the language. You mentioned a possibility of considering a career change? If so, first find out what types of computer science related work are available in the area you live or wish to live; then find out what reasonable expectations the employers in the field you settle on would have.

GL

Beans

If you're going to enjoy Linux, this is my advice to you: Don't go for any unstable version of any distribution which is out there. It's not worth the hassle if you're just interested in a stable operating system.

Don't know what to choose?
    Comparison of Linux distributions - Wikipedia.

Welcome to the world of Linux!
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I haven't come through any academic IT route even at high school, secondary school. Inclusion within a community is important ( hope that doesn't sound too sad) Not wishing to place myself into someone elses hands or be a forum vampire, but basement level advice is needed. Programming seems a lifes journey, maybe i'm wrong ( i'm not going the degree avenue). Ways into IT for pleasure and poss work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by khelben1979 View Post
    If you're going to enjoy Linux, this is my advice to you: Don't go for any unstable version of any distribution which is out there. It's not worth the hassle if you're just interested in a stable operating system.

Don't know what to choose?
    Comparison of Linux distributions - Wikipedia.

Welcome to the world of Linux!
    A stable distribution is great if you want to enjoy Linux, true; however, if you really want to LEARN Linux then the best way is to fix it when it breaks. I've been using Linux exclusively on all my computers and home server for six plus years now and I learned everything I know about Linux by fixing problems as they come up. This doesn't mean you have to live on the bleeding edge, but I would definitely choose a rolling distribution like Debian (Testing branch), Arch, Slackware or Gentoo and update it regularly. Ubuntu is a great little distro to use to get your feet wet, or to use on your main workstation where you want something stable that just works. I strongly believe there's no better way to learn the inner workings of something than figuring out what went wrong when it breaks. Good luck and welcome aboard.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ on ASUS A8N SLI SE
    4096 MB DDR 400MHz RAM
    GeForce 9400 GT w 512 MB DDR2 & Compiz-fusion
    Kubuntu 9.10 x86-64 with Kernel 2.6.31

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mrfotheringham View Post
    I haven't come through any academic IT route even at high school, secondary school. Inclusion within a community is important ( hope that doesn't sound too sad) Not wishing to place myself into someone elses hands or be a forum vampire, but basement level advice is needed. Programming seems a lifes journey, maybe i'm wrong ( i'm not going the degree avenue). Ways into IT for pleasure and poss work.
    Well, first off then I'd suggest learning to tune your OS to make it "your own". You'll learn a great deal about your OS, and also discover opportunities to have some fun with Bash Scripting, Python, and HTML (so you can start a website to showcase your experience with your shiny new OS, and a place to share any scripts or programs you end up writing.).

Be sure to get the free pocket guide from:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1052065

Thats a great place to start.

There is also a great wiki here:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Main_Page

And the Community Docs here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community

And then there is google, simply append the name Ubuntu to any google search and browse the plethora of information that comes up.

These Forums are a great starting place as well, so use the search feature here in the forums, and never be afraid to ask questions, I don't believe in vampires, and neither should you

If you want a great first project, try learning what an Ubuntu repository is, then add the Medibuntu repositories to your Software Sources. I am more than happy to tell you how, or if you'd like to figure it out for yourself, then get to googling. Let me know either way.

Welcome to Ubuntu and welcome to one of the friendliest forums on the internet. I hope you end up enjoying it as much as the rest of us do.

GLAHF
    ~starcannon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Great advice. Many thanks, will absorb and get back.(Short reply for much advice)