Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UBUNTU IS GOOD ..But As a End-User I expect this changes to It....

Beans

Re: UBUNTU IS GOOD ..But As a End-User I expect this changes to It....

[QUOTE=rushikesh988;7529798]Hello friends I am not new to ubuntu I am using it from 2 years.I am using it very well no problem with anything to me . Every thing is going fine.

But as a End-user I think this changes should me made in ubuntu while releasing its next version.

Codecs should be packed to it (I know some leagl right comes in a way of doing this but still some distros does it ).If not possible Ubuntu community should add some players like VLC player which is good enought to play near about all formats that we use in day to day life.
    It would be nice, especially in the EU where I believe it is legal. Codecs aren't really that hard to install - to maintain legal responsibilities put a metapackage/ubuntu-restricted-extras on the desktop - not unlike Hardware Drivers.

Wine-doors should be packed to it.So that its reputation will be the OS which run Linux as well windows programs too.
    I have to disagree here. Perhaps I'm lucky but I can be fully productive in Linux and wine would require me to install 32 bit libraries on my system which I do not want. Keep it as an option but not as default, it's not needed and easy enough to install

I think ubuntu should give users function of installing packages from CD itself just like mandriva does they pack lots of software with their DVD giving users function to install packages from it...I know this will increse the ISO size of ubuntu and will give problem to some users but I think downloading this ISO will be optional (CONICAL SHOULD CREATE 2 ISOs 1 with Packeges nad 2nd one should be normal as like we download from its site)
    Apart from bandwidth considerations (it's easier to download only the packages I need rather than a CD full mostly of crap) a second ISO full of packages will date very quickly. A new ISO would have to be released every week and even that is a long time to wait. A git/subversion system would work well although try explaining it to a new user.

4.I think all linux distros should use same installer so that software manufacturers will make softwares for linux easily..(not rpm ,not deb only one common just like .bin files )
    I disagree, Linux is not Windows:

Windows: You will do it this way and you will like it this way. Don't like it? We don't care.

Linux: Try this way, if you don't like it then try this. Of course there is also this way too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

SuperSonic4
    I disagree, Linux is not Windows:
    +1

I couldn't agree more "IT IS NOT WINDOWS" - Lets not turn it into a Windows Clone. I doubt you'd convince the devs. to that anyway.

Linux&Gsus
    My personal conclusion: Use the OS for what you need it. If there is something that is Windows only then use it, if it's Mac only use that, if it's Linux only use that.
    To be honest, I doubt that a single OS ever will be the answer to everyones needs. And also to be honest, I think that having more than just one OS is stimulating innovation a lot more, rather then trying to reduce it to just one system.

Well said!
    Perhaps if one has a need to use Windows programs - they should use Windows.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    Perhaps if one has a need to use Windows programs - they should use Windows.
    Could not agree more. Packaging Ubuntu as a "complete Windows replacement" does Ubuntu a great disservice. Several of my friends, after doing their research online, found so many articles that "Ubuntu is better than Vista" and "Ubuntu is mainstream-ready" that they decided to give it a go. A week later, they're all back with Vista and incredibly anti-linux, anti-OSS, and communicating their discontent to other potential users.

Keep Ubuntu the way it is: a distribution for people new to Linux, familiar with computers, and willing to invest time and effort to get their system working.
    Forums for applied mathematics and economics
    http://www.fhat.org

Beans

Here we go again:

1. Codecs should be packed to it (I know some leagl right comes in a way of doing this but still some distros does it ).If not possible Ubuntu community should add some players like VLC player which is good enough to play near about all formats that we use in day to day life.
    You realise that distros like Linux Mint, PCLinux, Mepis linux and others that include codecs by default risk a lot by doing so.
    Unfortunately Ubuntu is much too public to include the codecs by default, also Ubuntu is now a well noted competitor to Windows, the minute Ubuntu included the codecs by default it will get sued by Microsoft and anybody else who claims ownership of those codecs.
    Now maybe better documentation on how to obtain codecs could be included on the disk or something that is linked on the Ubuntu main page could help the new user.
    Obtaining codecs in Ubuntu is actually very easy for the new user, if they are pointed in the right direction of course.

2. Wine-doors should be packed to it. So that its reputation will be the OS which run Linux as well windows programs too.
    Again you deal with Microsofts leagal BS, also for many Wine is not the best solution.
    Now personally I never had a mission critical issue with Wine, but some people do.

3. I think ubuntu should give users function of installing packages from CD itself just like mandriva does they pack lots of software with their DVD giving users function to install packages from it...I know this will increse the ISO size of ubuntu and will give problem to some users but I think downloading this ISO will be optional (CONICAL SHOULD CREATE 2 ISOs 1 with Packeges nad 2nd one should be normal as like we download from its site)
    This is actually your most plausible suggestion, even though the packages included on the package disk would be out of date in a short time maybe the disk should be there for pewople who have issues with connecting to the net with Ubuntu.
    A disk including stuff like Ndiswrapper or something would come in handy.

4. I think all linux distros should use same installer so that software manufacturers will make softwares for linux easily..(not rpm ,not deb only one common just like .bin files )
    Oh sure limit freedom and choice, force everyone to use the same package manager, the same format, the same interface...
    Feh
    Look The types of packages Linux uses is not the issue, these days .tar.gz, .deb and .rpm are easy to compile for if one takes the time out to make them.
    I call not catering to linux laziness, or ignorance.
    Each installer doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post
    Windows: You will do it this way and you will like it this way. Don't like it? We don't care.

Linux: Try this way, if you don't like it then try this. Of course there is also this way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Oh sure limit freedom and choice, force everyone to use the same package manager, the same format, the same interface...
    So when Microsoft does their own way of odf and their own way of web development, it's a good thing! Who needs a standard way to do things, it's all about choice, man.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rushikesh988 View Post
    i expect this changes to UBUNTU/LINUX.....
    OK, so why don't you begin coding and make these changes?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    So when Microsoft does their own way of odf and their own way of web development, it's a good thing! Who needs a standard way to do things, it's all about choice, man.
    Yes its about choice, because having a bullcrap standard that only works with 1 OS and application is just plain nonsense.
    I believe in cross platform and versatility.
    Now Yes MS has abused this with .docx and such but people could still choose if they wanted what MS wanted to shove down their throats or something that could work for them no matter the OS they had.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    Yes its about choice, because having a bullcrap standard that only works with 1 OS and application is just plain nonsense.
    I believe in cross platform and versatility.
    Now Yes MS has abused this with .docx and such but people could still choose if they wanted what MS wanted to shove down their throats or something that could work for them no matter the OS they had.
    You believe in cross platform and versatility?
    The whole point of my quote was to show that things don't even work within Linux. (package management being one example) and that it's apparently okay when Linux does it but not when Microsoft does it.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Codecs should be packed to it (I know some leagl right comes in a way of doing this but still some distros does it ).If not possible Ubuntu community should add some players like VLC player which is good enought to play near about all formats that we use in day to day life.
    If they include VLC in the CD, they are effectively including codecs, which we all know they do not do. Not hard to add them. Besides, Windows and Mac do not even come with codecs. (except their own proprietary formats) Why should ubuntu?

Wine-doors should be packed to it.So that its reputation will be the OS which run Linux as well windows programs too.
    Not hard to install. They have limits to how much they can put on CD.
    I think ubuntu should give users function of installing packages from CD itself just like mandriva does they pack lots of software with their DVD giving users function to install packages from it...I know this will increse the ISO size of ubuntu and will give problem to some users but I think downloading this ISO will be optional (CONICAL SHOULD CREATE 2 ISOs 1 with Packeges nad 2nd one should be normal as like we download from its site)
    You can install packages from the CD/DVD. Just go to software sources and make sure CD Rom is checked off.

4.I think all linux distros should use same installer so that software manufacturers will make softwares for linux easily..(not rpm ,not deb only one common just like .bin files )
    Ridiculous. Why not be exactly like windows where there is only one way to do things. (.exe) I don't think so. For the most part, you only need 2 formats. RPM and DEB. No big deal.

Beans

Why would you need all of those things added to the CD? Why would you want to make everything standard? That is, one of the reasons I got interested in Linux is because of the various individuality that is abundant. With Windows I had only what was given me and had to deal with it. When I came to Ubuntu it was and still is a learning experience which I enjoy. I've had a lot of people here helping me to learn how to install what I needed to do different things. And when they didn't work I was gently pushed in the direction of something else to try. I didn't want and don't want everything handed to me on a silver platter and tacked on with a fee as with Windows. I'd rather go in and get as I need, what I don't need at the time I can get later.

So far, I've never had to do anything with Wine. Never had the need for it. But it is nice to know it's out there if and when I do need it. Don't put that as an automatic download on the CD. IMO once you start loading everything onto the CD and deciding how it's going to run then it becomes another Windows. Maybe I'm wrong in my view since I'm still learning this system.But, I can't see adding everything and it's brother onto the system.
    Tom
    Debian Testing and Debian Stable
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast