Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will MSN Video/Voice make it into Karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Talking Will MSN Video/Voice make it into Karmic?

As you can read here: http://cass.no-ip.com/~cassidy/blog/...t-in-Telepathy MSN Video and Voice support has arrived!

Will this make it into Karmic? I sure hope so!

Re: Will MSN Video/Voice make it into Karmic?

Great!

Beans

There is voice and video in the new version of amsn that is in the Karmica repositories. I only tried the video and it was still buggy like the previous version. The new version at least looks a little better, but they still need to put the video into the actual window that you are chatting in rather than a separate video window. Having multiple windows for one conversation doesn't make alot of sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The required libraries are nearly all there we are just missing the yet unreleased telepathy-farsight 0.0.13. I have high confidence that this feature will ship with Karmic.

Please note that you may need to install video/audio codec support separately. It wouldn't surprise anyone if these were of the proprietary and patented nature meaning we can't ship them by default. This however should be a simple matter of installing the right gstreamer plugins. *cough* something PackageKit would do for us if we had that *cough*
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

I agree that the video should be in the same window as the chat (although unsure if you are talking about amsn or emesene here).

+1 vote to having the update included for karmic this is awesome news!

@gnomeuser since empathy is included with gnome, why would such a feature use proprietary tech?

Beans
    Distro

Going the right way for sure.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    @gnomeuser since empathy is included with gnome, why would such a feature use proprietary tech?
    Because the MSN protocol mandates a certain set of codecs. Now an empathy to empathy chat _might_ have the option to use Theora but if you were to use msn webcam chat the way most of us would, you will be talking to the official client from empathy. This means the two need to find an approved codec with which they can exchange data, meaning the use of the officially approved codecs.

No worries I am sure an open implementation is available as a gstreamer plugin, it should just work once you violate the law (or not depending on the insanity of your local laws).
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

Ah you make a good point, although i live in the UK which seems i don't fall under these licensing issues (last time i checked anyways).

Would be good if they told us how they did it, so we can see what codecs and such it will use.

Beans

Empathy could also use the same feature totem does for getting codecs that aren't available. I believe that's actually a gstreamer thing with a hook installed in gstreamer so it shouldn't make empathy depend on packagekit or gnome-app-install.
    Travis Watkins
    Blog: Realist Anew
    Projects: Compiz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sorry to bump this up but any news on if this will hit Karmic? I can't see any reason it won't but it would be nice to have some confirmation. Can I request this somehow to get the ball rolling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast