Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Installing wine without sudo ??

OK. I think I can explain this better if I show you an example:

First, use this command to download winetricks:
    Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    You'll find winetricks script in your "home" folder when download completes.

I extracted Wine and copied "data" folder on my Desktop; Then I use this command to create new wineprefix called "Example" on my Desktop:

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Example /home/ackanao/Desktop/data/usr/bin/wineboot
    Then I use this command to install wine-gecko:

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Example sh winetricks gecko
    Maybe you missed something or made a typo - it's pretty straightforward, try again and let me know if you manage to install it or not.

Beans

Thanks the problems is fix i've run the winetricks but when I try to install others beside font codecs and other simple installation most of them have errors and won't continue.
    Could you send me a copy that has almost complete winetricks or is there a site that provides the compiled one ? I specially need the MSI Installer and the MXML 6 and IE6 I've tried installing but it just wont error I forgot the error but I will tell you tomorrow.

Thanks again !!
    Last edited by acdragon101; June 28th, 2009 at 07:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'd wish our school used Ubuntu. We still use Windows XP.

Beans
    Distro

@acdragon101

I think I know why you're having difficulties configuring your "portable Wine" setup, so I'll start from begining...

First, install Wine on your home computer - it is needed if you want to use winetricks for your "portable Wine" configuration.

If you don't want to use winetricks, then you don't have to install Wine on your system - In this case, you can install different Microsoft runtime libraries for your wineprefix manually but you need to know which "overrides" to implement.

I think it's best to have "extracted" Wine and your wineprefixes placed in one folder (ex: Wine-Portable folder) - it's much easier to manage your extracted Wine versions and different wineprefixes.

So, create "Wine-Portable" folder (name it whatever you want) and inside that folder you'll have one folder for your extracted Wine (or maybe more if you want to use different Wine versions) and different folders for each wineprefix you create - Here's an example:

Wine-Portable
    |
    |
    |-wine folder
    |
    |-wineprefix folder for Microsoft Office 2003
    |
    |-wineprefix folder for Adobe Photoshop
    |
    |-wineprefix folder for some other application
    |
    |-etc.

If you have Wine installed on your system and then try to use winetricks to install "stuff" for your wineprefix, the installation will complete successfully. When you're finished with configuring your wineprefixes, you can copy your "portable Wine" folder to another computer - i've already described how to use it in my previous posts.

Some applications works better with wine-gecko 0.9.1 and newer Wine versions (Wine 1.1.14 and later) use wine-gecko 0.9.1. Older versions of Wine works with wine-gecko 0.1.0.

If wine-gecko is only thing you need for your wineprefix, you can install it even if you don't have Wine installed on your system:

Code:
    WINEPREFIX=~/Desktop/Example /home/ackanao/Desktop/data/usr/bin/wine iexplore http://www.winehq.org
    This command will install appropriate wine-gecko version for your extracted Wine.

Now, try again and report your results - I hope you'll be successful this time...

Cheers.
    Last edited by ackanao; June 29th, 2009 at 07:44 AM.

Beans

Thanks it really works !!!

Cheers !!

Beans
    Distro

I'm glad I was able to help - Cheers acdragon101!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12