Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Wubi access Windows partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Can Wubi access Windows partition?

heya all,
    I installed Wubi, since I didn't want to get into all the partitioning mess again, and the potential problems I could have with booting windows, etc...

So far I like it, but I'd like to know if there's some way to mount the windows partition it runs on so I can access my files on it. Is it possible?

kthx
    -R

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Can Wubi access Windows partition?

Usually you open up your home folder and on the left should be an icon for your windows partition, assuming NTFS tools are already installed. It should also be listed under the places menu. Identify it by its hard disk size.Hopefully, you defragmented the disc before installing WUBI otherwise the performance may lessen.

nmaster is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

in root, you can go to the host directory.

Beans
    Distro

There is no icon on the left for windows, the root home dir doesn't have anything but 'desktop'. I looked if there was anything under /mnt, there was nothing. Under /media I have the two CDrom drives, the floppy, just not the windows partition. HELP!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

According to this :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Ho...dows%20drives?

your windows drive is under /host
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    According to this :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#Ho...dows%20drives?

your windows drive is under /host
    this is what i had posted earler, so obviously i agree. open the terminal and enter "cd /host". enter "ls" to list all the files.

if you prefer gui: Places->Computer->Filesystem->host

when in doubt, read about it! this is definitely on the wubi faq page (http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ryupower View Post
    There is no icon on the left for windows, the root home dir doesn't have anything but 'desktop'. I looked if there was anything under /mnt, there was nothing. Under /media I have the two CDrom drives, the floppy, just not the windows partition. HELP!
    why don't you read the replies? i told you exactly where to look more that half an hour before you posted this. you really need to take some initiative to help yourself. we already told you the answer that you could have found for yourself online with 30 seconds of google searching. the rest is up to you.

ADDITION:
    okay, sorry if that sounded harsh, this is meant to be a friendly place for all. this is a place for people to learn. wubi doesn't actually make a new parition. it makes a virtual drive on in your C: drive. there is plenty of info on this forum and else where. just use google and go for it. reading will be your best friend if you've never used ubuntu before.
    Last edited by nmaster; June 27th, 2009 at 07:09 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by neal.m.master View Post
    why don't you read the replies? i told you exactly where to look more that half an hour before you posted this. you really need to take some initiative to help yourself. we already told you the answer that you could have found for yourself online with 30 seconds of google searching. the rest is up to you.

Perhaps your first post was not clear enough ? Your second post, while it contains the same information, is better presented.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post

Perhaps your first post was not clear enough ? Your second post, while it contains the same information, is better presented.
    ill keep that in mind. but still, this info was clearly available from wubi-installer.org.

Beans
    Distro

Oh I see!
    You meant a host directory like /mnt and all. Not a host directory INSIDE the root folder. I never realized that directory is there, must be Wubi-only.
    So yes, I found it. Thank you very much, and sorry for being an idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast