Thread: Fan Control Under Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Fan Control Under Linux

Initially posted in the gnome gaming forum by me - just wondered if anyone had any feedback here

Hi!

I was thinking about overclocking my PC for linux, but only if I have complete control over my fans. One option would be to get a fan controller, although I dont really want to do this, I have no free front bays for one thing. If there was an external thing I could get then maybe.

But anyway, rambling on, I was wondering if there is a fan control app I can use which will let me control the RPM of my fans. Currently, my system fans runs faster than it really needs to, and it creates a bit of noise.

If there was a GTK front end to it, it would be fantastic, but I can deal with it if it has to be run from the command line.

Thanks alot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Fan Control Under Linux

My advice to you is do not overclock.. If you have fans, you cannot possibly overclock and be stable with fans.. With watercooling it is possible. With Linux you will find that you will be much more stable running your default clock speed rather than overclocking. If you however are doing something like developing programs, or compiling lots of things that take a long time, i would say hey, that extra 10% you can overclock safely with fans may possibly help...but just for a little "kick" you're not really going to see too much of a difference.
    Ubuntu Guide with Lots of Usefull Information
    Offical Ubuntu Wiki
    -=- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ -=- RADEON X850 GTO -=- Kubuntu 7.10 -=-

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Fan Control Under Linux

Take a look at Nvclock, it allows you to change freq and fan speed on Nvidia video cards. One step to total control.