Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EeePc 1008HA ethternet

Beans

Re: EeePc 1008HA ethternet

Another option would be to upgrade the kernel. My 1005HA came today
    and I installed 9.04. Neither wireless nor ethernet worked. I googled and found your solution but also found a recommendation to update the kernel to 2.6.30 generic. I found a deb and it installed flawlessly. Wireless came right up. I haven't checked wired yet, don't have a cable, but this was easier than some of the other options.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rcosby View Post
    Another option would be to upgrade the kernel. My 1005HA came today
    and I installed 9.04. Neither wireless nor ethernet worked. I googled and found your solution but also found a recommendation to update the kernel to 2.6.30 generic. I found a deb and it installed flawlessly. Wireless came right up. I haven't checked wired yet, don't have a cable, but this was easier than some of the other options.
    Please, if you can, check if the wired network works and tell us. This is a good solution indeed.

Beans

I have installed the new kernel (2.6.30) on my 1005ha and wireless works. Wired however doesn't. In fact, compiling the AR813X driver fails as well (works for 2.6.29 and 28 though).

Now, the main advantage of the 2.6.30 kernel (according to my experience) is that video performance improves significantly when coupled with the 2.7.1 intel driver.

BTW if somebody manages to make wired network work with this kernel and this eth card please let us know
    Last edited by tanguita; July 7th, 2009 at 03:18 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tanguita View Post
    I have installed the new kernel (2.6.30) on my 1005ha and wireless works. Wired however doesn't. In fact, compiling the AR813X driver fails as well (works for 2.6.29 and 28 though).

Now, the main advantage of the 2.6.30 kernel (according to my experience) is that video performance improves significantly when coupled with the 2.7.1 intel driver.

BTW if somebody manages to make wired network work with this kernel and this eth card please let us know
    The solution I posted before is kernel-independent. It should work for the newest kernel, if the wired network is still not supported.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leandromartinez98 View Post
    The solution I posted before is kernel-independent. It should work for the newest kernel, if the wired network is still not supported.
    I know it should, but for some reason it doesn't for me... With 2.6.28, 2.6.29 works flawlessly but with 2.6.30 I get:

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30-020630-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/tanguita/eth/src modules
    make[1]: entering directory «/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic»
    CC [M] /home/tanguita/eth/src/at_common_main.o
    CC [M] /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1e_main.o
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1e_main.c: In function ‘atl1e_request_irq’:
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1e_main.c:156: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    CC [M] /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.o
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.c: In function ‘atl1c_intr’:
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.c:1640: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.c:1654: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.c:1678: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.c:1708: warning: ‘return’ with a value, in function returning void
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.c: In function ‘atl1c_request_irq’:
    /home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.c:2350: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    make[2]: *** [/home/tanguita/eth/src/atl1c_main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/tanguita/eth/src] Error 2
    make[1]: exiting directory «/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic»
    make: *** [default] Error

what am I missing?

Beans

I have a new 1005HA, but I can't even start worrying about the network since neither my touchpad nor a USB mouse works. I booted from a Kubuntu 9.04 USB stick. It boots up fine and brings me to the desktop. Then I'm stuck. The touchpad and mouse work just fine in XP. Would Ubuntu be that different from Kubuntu in this regard?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bawolk View Post
    Would Ubuntu be that different from Kubuntu in this regard?
    No, it shouldn't... I am using Kubuntu 9.04 in fact, but I installed it directly. I never "live booted".

Beans

Just check and no, wired does not work ...

Beans

Thumbs down Re: EeePc 1008HA ethternet

For those people trying to compile the AR813X driver (v1.0.0.9) against kernel 2.6.30+, you will need to modify kcompat.h from:
    #define IRQ_HANDLED
    #define IRQ_NONE
    to
    #define IRQ_HANDLED 1
    #define IRQ_NONE 0
    Also, don't use the atl1c driver from 2.6.30+ as it doesn't work - I couldn't get any DHCP assignment through the driver, although NetworkManager tried valiantly when the ethernet cable was detected as plugged in. Also, don't try and unload the atl1c driver. It locked up my netbook and then when I rebooted, it did something to disable the actual Attansic chip. The ethernet chip couldn't be detected until I went through and played with disabling and re-enabling it through BIOS.

Beans

It turned out the unetbootin program on my gentoo linux box had a bug. I installed the most recent daily build of 9.10 ubuntu NBR on my usb stick using unetbootin on a windows box and it booted fine.

I can report that wireless works out of the box on my 1005HA. I haven't tested a wired connection yet.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast