Thread: Stop automatic root user login

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Stop automatic root user login

This is probably a stupid question, but it's a tough query to do a search for.

I'm making a custom xubuntu experience on a usb drive for my young nephews. I followed the instructions via http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-xub...stall-windows/ and so far it's all gone swimmingly.

One small hang up, however, when I boot from usb drive xubuntu automatically logs me in as the root user. I've set up another account I'd like the kids to use so that they can't mess around with the settings too much, but it's kind of pointless if I can't stop the system from booting in root mode.

Is there a way I can work around this or is this just a drawback to using usb persistent installation?

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Stop automatic root user login

its a persistance install, you select it from the boot menue and you *if you made the account* should be able to log on as said user.

if not then persistance isn't saving the info,

not entirely sure how to stop root logon =\
    Being in The Army is like being in the boyscouts only with no supervision.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Prior to my first login, I've never manually made an account, though.

I click "run xubuntu perssistently" and it automatically logs me in as root.

Now I have made a second account that I want my nephews to be able to use. I'd like this to be the account which automatically starts up when xubuntu is run. But as it is right now, I press "run xubuntu" and it automatically starts up in root. From there I have to log out, then it will take me to a login screen where I can manually enter the account I want.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bump?

So if I can assume that my automatic log-in transfer is impossible for me... is there a way I can at least hide/delete that "install" icon that seems to be permanently adhered to the desktop?

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaems-kun View Post
    Bump?

So if I can assume that my automatic log-in transfer is impossible for me... is there a way I can at least hide/delete that "install" icon that seems to be permanently adhered to the desktop?
    Isn't it possible to make an install in which you do make a user account during installation, like you would when you are installing Ubuntu normally on a HD?

Then this account is a normal user account, but by using the given password (during installation also) it will get privileged rights to perform root tasks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would assume so, however the way I did this (via the instructions at pendrivelinux) didn't give me any account options, everything was done automatically. Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to experiment with install methods without specific instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jaems-kun View Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but it's a tough query to do a search for.

I'm making a custom xubuntu experience on a usb drive for my young nephews. I followed the instructions via http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-xub...stall-windows/ and so far it's all gone swimmingly.

One small hang up, however, when I boot from usb drive xubuntu automatically logs me in as the root user. I've set up another account I'd like the kids to use so that they can't mess around with the settings too much, but it's kind of pointless if I can't stop the system from booting in root mode.

Is there a way I can work around this or is this just a drawback to using usb persistent installation?

Thanks in advance.
    Try removing the automatic login setting: System-Administration-Login Window
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Try removing the automatic login setting: System-Administration-Login Window
    For Xubuntu, it's Settings>>Login Window>>Security tab to control automatic login; on that tab you can specify the user to log in automatically. I don't know if this conflicts with the "run persistently" settings but it works as expected on all of my Xubuntu boxes (four of them)...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Perfect! That's what I was looking for, thank you so much!