Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Samba 3.0.34 from Binary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Install Samba 3.0.34 from Binary

Im trying to install Samba 3.0.34 onto my Ubuntu 9.04 system from a binary package I've downloaded. i am using this version because the version that comes with Ubuntu, 3.3.2, from what i have read will not integrate with Likewise correctly for Active directory authentication. i download the source conigure it complie then install. but when i try to confirm the install by running smbd -V to check the version it says that it is not installed and to use the apt-get command to install it. it appears that the samba files are in the /usr/local directory. can anyone help me out.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Install Samba 3.0.34 from Binary

I'm in the exact same boat, I have noticed that samba has in fact installed the command in /etc/init.d to start the services but when attempting to start them it returns nothing.

Same problem if I go to /usr/local/sbin/smbd or /usr/local/sbin/nmbd The commands work but nothing starts or anything.

Anyone have an ideas, if you need more info I will gladly provide.

Beans
    Distro

well i try installing 3.3.2 instead now and it seems to be working fine so far but I haven't actually tested the entire thing yet. but im able to access my shares from windows and as long as i give my domain\user rights to the share it works correctly i need to try doing this by group but i will see where this gets me

Beans
    Distro

Using likewise it worked? Whenever I install likewise my wbinfo starts failing, I can configure it fine with just winbind, but when likewise installs it doesn't work anymore. What steps did you use to install likewise?

Beans
    Distro

i simply installed likewise from the synaptic package manager joined the domain then installed samaba and configured it to use ADS authentication pointed it towards my domain and made sure it had encrypted passwords.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm, you make it sound simple hah, I have been trying that for days to no avail. So here are a couple of questions for ya:

Did you make any changes to kerberos, PAM, or nsswitch?

Did you use likewise 4 or 5?

Also would you maybe post your smb.conf?
    Last edited by Daimones; July 2nd, 2009 at 04:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

lol sorry
    I am using likewise 5
    i have not done any editing to my kerberose, PAM, or nsswitch files
    sorry for security reasons i cannot post the changes to the smb.conf file but i can tell you i used SWAT to do all my editing.
    just in case ou don't know what it is swat is a editing program that uses and web browser to edit your smb.conf file. i found that it made everything simpler and i gives easy help to each field. you have to login as root to it though or u wont have any editing permissions.
    Last edited by ewendt; July 2nd, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well you don't need to post your important info, you could use xx.xxx.xxx for ip addresses and YOURDOMAINNAME for domains, but alas could you tell me if you made more edits than the following?

security = ads
    workgroup = SHORTDOMAINNAME
    realm = YOURDOMAINNAME.COM

idmap backend = lwicompat_v4 I tried both lwopen and lwicompat_v4
    idmap gid = 50-9999999999
    idmap uid = 50-9999999999

I basically followed the final post of this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...87#post5399487

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: Install Samba 3.0.34 from Binary

I made those same edits but......lol i just found out my likewise is jacked up lol. i hadn't logged onto my machine using AD credentials till now since the install and configuration of my Samba server so now we are back to square one with that

Beans
    Distro

Ouch sad news Well I will keep trying and will gladly let you know if I find anything, I'm still holding onto the need for samba 3.0.34 being the issue, based on what I have read online.

Hopefully someone will pop their head in here and help us out, otherwise I'll keep ya posted with any progress I make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast