Thread: Ubuntu in Ventura County

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ubuntu in Ventura County

Hey guys I switched to Ubuntu full time about a year ago and i'm at the point where I would like to start meeting up with some other people interested in Ubuntu/Linux/Open Source/other tech stuff. The nearest lugs I have seen are down in LA this is a bit of a drive for me, magnified by traffic. So my question is; are there any people in Ventura County that may want to start a lug or just some meetings???

Thanks,
    -Paul B.
    linux-user#492021/ubuntu-user#27918
    Google is my homeboy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu in Ventura County

Hey, I'm in Ventura. Port Hueneme, to be precise. I've had the same regrets about the LA LUGS all being about as far away as a plane ride to Chicago.

I'd like to see some installfest gatherings, and how-do-I-get-my weird-widget-software-whatever-working meetups.

Some of the LA LUGS have scheduled talks, but I'm not too gung-ho on that. It's either totally over my head, or not something I need, or both. (Usually both.)

Anyway, let's see if a few more people show up here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok just an update, I am still looking at creating a user group. I have created a website for this. I am still going around local places looking for some more people. Any advise/help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul B
    Last edited by paul_be; July 8th, 2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: problem with site
    Google is my homeboy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok my site is vc-lug.org. I have run across an existing group this week vclug.org. I am going to one of their meetings this Saturday. This will likely mean that the groups will combine I will keep you guys updated.

**Update**
    Hey guys just an update on what is going on. I have joined the guys from vclug (www.vclug.org). They meet every other Saturday at the Fry's cafe in Oxnard and are looking for a more permanent location. There are anywhere from 5 to 10 people who show there. Many of them also attend sclug (www.sclug.org) in Simi Valley, which is a little more seasoned. The meeting for sclug are every other Saturday as well. vclug and sclug alternate Saturdays so I go to a meeting every Sunday. Both groups have no charge and are open to anyone who wants to come. I hope to see anyone in the area join in at the meetings or on irc. If you have any questions or reservations send me a message.

-Paul B
    Last edited by paul_be; July 29th, 2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Update
    Google is my homeboy

Beans

I am glad I found this post because I was wondering if
    there was a Ventura Linux users group. Do you know when the next April 2010 meeting is, which Saturday date? On the web-site I saw March 20th meeting but nothing about April yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benfelts70 View Post
    I am glad I found this post because I was wondering if
    there was a Ventura Linux users group. Do you know when the next April 2010 meeting is, which Saturday date? On the web-site I saw March 20th meeting but nothing about April yet.
    Sometimes it takes a bit for the website to be updated with dates for each month, your best bet is to check out the archives for the mailing list. If there hasn't been a post about it yet, then sending a message to the LUG list asking is generally good form (and may serve to gently remind the leadership to get it scheduled

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I just visited the web site. The April meeting is this Saturday (17th). I'm going to be out at Joshua Tree then, but hopefully I can catch the one in May.

Beans

Awesome, let me know how it goes