Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC videos won't play with flashplugin-nonfree

Beans

Question BBC videos won't play with flashplugin-nonfree

I can't get the flash videos on the BBC website to load properly in any browser. This happens with all videos; it's not just ones that are region-specific (I'm in the USA) or expired. As an example of a video that won't play, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8116024.stm. The player loads, but the actual video doesn't. I just get an endless loading animation.

This happens independently of which browser I'm using. I've tried it in Firefox, Opera, and Midori. I'm using the latest flashplugin-nonfree on Ubuntu Jaunty. What really baffles me is that another Jaunty install with flashplugin-nonfree plays the videos with no problem...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: BBC videos won't play with flashplugin-nonfree

3 things, 1. did you get the one from the adobe website, they have a .deb for ubuntu 8.04+, it works perfect with jaunty.

2. is your video correctly configured? Drivers installed, xorg.conf updated? etc.

3. some websites, even though they run flash sometimes need an xvid or divx plugin.
    AMD Phenom x4 9850 | 4 GB DDR2 OCZ Crossfire Memory | Asus M4A78 Pro Motherboard | 1 GB 4870 Radeon | 2x 500 GB RAID 0 | 850w Black Widow PSU | Blue ORB II CPU FAN | SATA DVD-RW | Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi.. try this command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree 
    .. I've searched for my pc a lot for a flash plugin, and this work perfectly !!

Sysc, A
    Every morning you have two choices:
    Continue your sleep with dreaming
    or wake up and chase your dreams
    CHOICE IS YOURS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It might be a conflicting plug-in. Check the Troubleshooting section of the tutorial Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post

Problems:

• Can't play streaming videos
    • Flash videos display only a symbol and won't start

Solution:

Some video issues are caused by conflicting plug-ins. It's not a good idea to have multiple plug-ins for the same type of content. You can disable plug-ins through the Addons window. Open "Tools >> Addons", then select the "Plug-ins" icon, then select the plug-in you want to disable and click the "Disable" button. Unfortunately, this not work every time, so the best procedure is to remove the conflicting plug-ins.

To remove conflicting flash plug-ins and install only the one from Adobe open "Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal", then paste (CTRL+SHIFT+V) the code below in the terminal window and hit enter:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla mozilla-plugin-gnash && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    To solve additional video issues, visit the Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto. It solves most of the problems related to video codecs and plug-ins.

Beans

I forgot to mention in my original post that I have this problem only with the BBC videos. Flash videos work just fine everywhere else (as do most other videos).

This I got this version of Flash by installing ubuntu-restricted-extras. I actually used to use the version from the Adobe site a while back, but I had issues with it (I don't recall what now), so I changed it to this one. I tried reinstalling it, but it had no effect. There aren't any other Flash versions installed.

I don't think it's a codec issue, since the other Ubuntu machine doesn't have any codecs installed that this one doesn't, and it plays the videos with no problem.

Beans

do u have ubuntu 64 bit or 32 bit? this is actually quite important in the adobe world

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ed021990 View Post
    do u have ubuntu 64 bit or 32 bit? this is actually quite important in the adobe world
    I have 32 bit.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    It might be a conflicting plug-in. Check the Troubleshooting section of the tutorial Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread
    I had the same problem. This is the answer. Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by njegbers View Post
    I had the same problem. This is the answer. Thank you!
    You are welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Beans

FF works fine with BBC and other viedo sites, but Opera will not play bbc videos though it plays the sound and all other videos? Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast