Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub 2 Basics

It says it's unrecognized. It also can't find /etc/default/grub

It' says that /etc/default/grub isn't a directory.

I'm still finding out how to fix it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It sounds like you need to reinstall grub2. You can check to see if it thinks it is installed with "update-grub -v" which should read 1.97... if installed. Even so, if it can't find /etc/default/grub there is something messed up with the installation.

If you can get into Ubuntu I'd try reinstalling it, substituting the device you want it installed on.
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
    If not, follow these instuctions with the LiveCD:
    Reinstalling GRUB2 from LiveCD

I'll check back tomorrow. I'm off for the night.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

update-grub -v works though

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Grub 2 Basics

This thread should be made a sticky in the beginners, upgrade & tutorial forums...mods--please--there will be thousands of "how do I edit grub2" threads in the coming weeks.
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosser View Post
    This thread should be made a sticky in the beginners, upgrade & tutorial forums...mods--please--there will be thousands of "how do I edit grub2" threads in the coming weeks.
    I've taken a lot of this information, added a few graphics, and put it in the "Grub 2" Ubuntu Help documention pages at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

The big thing about all the posts that have come out in the past month or two is that they will be moved (I think) to an archive section when Karmic is released on Thursday. I believe the individuals will have to 'petition' to get the individual threads moved out of the Testing archive and back somewhere that users can continue to add comments to.
    Last edited by drs305; October 25th, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This thread has already been moved to Tutorials and Tips. I think it would be better placed if stickied in Installations and Upgrades.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Grub 2 Basics

To tell the truth--this "should" be sticky in every forum we have & I would bet that won't be enough.....
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    I've taken a lot of this information, added a few graphics, and put it in the "Grub 2" Ubuntu Help documention pages at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
    Drs305, thanks for this move ! I think users will find this wiki of great value - in the event we come across fellow users with problems of this nature, it seems to obvious place to which to point them !...

Henri

Beans

I still haven't read through the whole tutorial. I'm just glancing at bits and pieces.

I noticed the first example under "Custom User Entries (/etc/grub.d/40_custom)" has a small error. It appears you accidentally included both tail and cat commands for output.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.

echo "Adding SystemRescueCD" >&2
    cat << EOF
    menuentry "System Rescue CD" {
    set root=(hd0,10)
    linux /sysrcd/rescuecd subdir=sysrcd setkmap=us
    initrd /sysrcd/initram.igz
    }
    EOF
    The tail command will output everything from the third line onwards, including the echo and cat commands.

You could either comment out the tail command or get rid of the cat command (and matching EOF) and move the echo command to the top of the file. (Change the tail command to output from the fourth line onwards.)

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    echo "Adding SystemRescueCD" >&2
    exec tail -n +4 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "System Rescue CD" {
    set root=(hd0,10)
    linux /sysrcd/rescuecd subdir=sysrcd setkmap=us
    initrd /sysrcd/initram.igz
    }
    I kind of prefer using the tail command rather than wrapping the menu entries in "cat << ...", but to each their own, of course.

Edit: You've done an amazing job with this tutorial, drs305. I think the mysterious grub2 will make more sense to users thanks to your effort.
    Last edited by RedSquirrel; October 28th, 2009 at 04:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    I still haven't read through the whole tutorial. I'm just glancing at bits and pieces.

I noticed the first example under "Custom User Entries (/etc/grub.d/40_custom)" has a small error. It appears you accidentally included both tail and cat commands for output.
    RedSquirrel,

You are correct and I'll make the change. When th 40_custom files came out with 1.96-Beta the "exec tail -n +3 $0" line was not included in the file. It was added later, perhaps with 1.97-Beta2. I edited the file to include the new line but failed to remove the now extraneous lines.

Thanks.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast