Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Grub 2 Basics

Excellent. Thanks again!

Tim

PS - It worked, perfectly.
    Last edited by ratcheer; December 5th, 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added PS
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub 2 Basics

This was a very nice trick. Thank You...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Grub 2 Basics

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    PS - I examined the script. Could I just append ' nomodeset' to the line for Linux that says 'linux ${LKERNEL} ${LPARAMS}' ?
    Wait. It didn't exactly work perfectly. The result is usable, but a little strange.

Instead of just creating the Arch boot command with nomodeset appended, for some reason it created two Arch boot commands, one with nomodeset and the other without it.

I have no idea how this simple change could cause it to make double boot commands for Arch. It seems to me that it should have simply done what it used to do, except when finding Arch, adding nomodeset to the end of its boot command.

Weird.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Weird.
    I'm back home instead of on the road with limited testing ability. I'll take a look at the script and see if I can find anything.

Off hand, I can think of one possibility. Did you make a backup copy of 30... that might still have the executable bit and is running on 'update-grub'? Any executable script in the grub.d folder is going to be run.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Grub 2 Basics

Ah, ok. I did make a backup script. Standard procedure. I had no idea it would be executed after I changed the file name.

Thanks,
    Tim

Beans

Quick question: Is there a way to edit the names of entries that have been successfully listed by Grub2? I only ask because for some reason on my Grub2 (11.10) Kubuntu is listed as Ubuntu, and I'd like to change it to the proper name. Many thanks.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Quick question: Is there a way to edit the names of entries that have been successfully listed by Grub2? I only ask because for some reason on my Grub2 (11.10) Kubuntu is listed as Ubuntu, and I'd like to change it to the proper name. Many thanks.
    There are several ways to do this but by far the most convenient is to use an app called Grub Customizer. It was designed for Grub 2 and can perform a variety of menu tweaks, including renaming entries.

Click the "Customizer" link in my signature line to visit the thread I created about it.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    There are several ways to do this but by far the most convenient is to use an app called Grub Customizer. It was designed for Grub 2 and can perform a variety of menu tweaks, including renaming entries.

Click the "Customizer" link in my signature line to visit the thread I created about it.
    Excellent! Many thanks.

Out of interest, what would be the manual way?
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Excellent! Many thanks.

The manual way is in the Tutorial in my signature. It is also mentioned on this thread of drs305's on about page one.

It may look sort of intimidating at first but, it is straight forward.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; December 18th, 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Excellent! Many thanks.

1. Manually editing the grub.cfg file, which would not be a good solution as it would get overwritten during updates (yours or system file upgrades).

2. Manually editing the scripts which generate the final grub menu. These are mostly contained in the /etc/grub.d folder. These edits can be very obscure, and you can see the convoluted way some of these can be made by clicking on the "Tweaks" link in my signature line. I wouldn't recommend these methods - they take a toll on your mind!

3. Create a custom menu (one is provided in /etc/grub.d/40_custom). This file doesn't change, although there are ways to keep the kernel current. Cavsfan came up with a great tutorial on how to use a custom menu while still allowing you to keep the latest kernel in the menu. The link is in his signature.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast