Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Grub 2 Basics

How do you change which OS is automatically loaded in the GRUB menu (I'm on 1.98, Ubuntu 10.04)? I think I saw some instructions in there that looked like they would do what I wanted, but there was no change.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Davidthewin View Post
    How do you change which OS is automatically loaded in the GRUB menu (I'm on 1.98, Ubuntu 10.04)? I think I saw some instructions in there that looked like they would do what I wanted, but there was no change.
    Normally you change the "DEFAULT=" number in /etc/default/grub.

Or you can use Grub Customizer.

Did you remember to run "sudo update-grub" after making the change? The actual menu isn't changed until you run the command.

Also, remember that you start counting the menu entries in /boot/grub/grub.cfg (or on the displayed menu) starting with 0, and not 1.

Finally, the numbers aren't working in Grub 1.99, which uses submenues.

If you still are having problems, please run the boot info script and post the contents of RESULTS.txt
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've sorted it now thanks.

I have a problem which is possibly related, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at it please:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10574250

Thanks very much

Beans

Many thanks for this, using your instructions I have successfully modified my Grub menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Malcolm_85,

You are welcome, and also welcome to the Ubuntu forums.

I wrote this guide when there wasn't much documentation about Grub 2. Since then, things have improved and there are many more resources available.

On of those, if you prefer a GUI app, is Grub Customizer. It can make many of the changes a normal user might want to make to the menu. If you are interested in using it in the future, I wrote a guide about it (don't worry, it is MUCH shorted than this guide). See the "Customizer" link in my signature line.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Why the hell do I get grub "error 15" with this damned grub if I don't put it in a SATA port it likes? Everything is UUID based and it still sucks. Can't find stage 1.5 on the same damned hard drive.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by avada View Post
    Why the hell do I get grub "error 15" with this damned grub if I don't put it in a SATA port it likes? Everything is UUID based and it still sucks. Can't find stage 1.5 on the same damned hard drive.
    First of all, calm down; you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Secondly, if you are getting "error 15" and anything about stage 1.5 then you are using grub legacy, not grub2. Since you mention swapping ports, my guess is that you have grub legacy installed on one of your other drives, and when you plug that one into the first sata port, that is the one your bios is trying to boot from. Either tell the bios to boot from the correct drive, or install grub2 on that drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post
    First of all, calm down; you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Secondly, if you are getting "error 15" and anything about stage 1.5 then you are using grub legacy, not grub2. Since you mention swapping ports, my guess is that you have grub legacy installed on one of your other drives, and when you plug that one into the first sata port, that is the one your bios is trying to boot from. Either tell the bios to boot from the correct drive, or install grub2 on that drive.
    Well, the other hard drives never had os-es on them. Is there a tool to view which have brub installed in the mbr and wipe grub.

Also I forgot, but had another similar problem too, when I didn't get an error, but grub simply didn't load, and booting hung after the usual bios stuff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by avada View Post
    Well, the other hard drives never had os-es on them. Is there a tool to view which have brub installed in the mbr and wipe grub.

Also I forgot, but had another similar problem too, when I didn't get an error, but grub simply didn't load, and booting hung after the usual bios stuff.
    See drs305's post #752 above and at the bottom is a bootinfoscript to run. Post the results here.

Beans

Hello,

Thank you for the guide. But I'm having some weird issues with what's being displayed on my grub menu.

Last week I updated to Ubuntu 10.10, but my grub menu remains the same, just like it was before the upgrade. I just today upgrade my generic Linux headers to the latest for 10.10, but still my grub menu remains the same.

It appears that there is a confusion between grub.cfg and menu.lst.

I only have these two linux headers, which I checked from synaptic.

When I type uname -r in terminal I get this:
    2.6.32-30-generic

I am really confused as to why this is happening. The wrong headers keep showing up.

I have attached the results from Boot Info Script

Cheers,
    JuliusCes
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast