Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub 2 Basics

I've reiterated in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...37&postcount=3
    Code:
    :~$ grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg | cut -b 1-11 --complement | cut -d "'" -f1 | cut -d "\"" -f 1 | nl --starting-line-number=0
         0	Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.37-999-generic
         1	Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.37-999-generic (recovery mode)
         2	Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.37-6-generic
         3	Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.37-6-generic (recovery mode)
         4	Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.36-1.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
         5	Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.36-1.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 (recovery mode)
         6	Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)
    I see what is the idea of Your solution and I kind of like it. I'll try it now...
    It makes sense and it is, even, more "legal" than our edititing /etc/default/grub... OK. Off to try... Thank You!

It is, now, sudo grub-set-default 2

No, either one does not work... set-default does not work at all. Saved works but:
    Either way it points to REAL #2 and that is, now, Previous_Linux_versions... If You choose that one, You go to another menu with other kernels...

Problem, as far as I can see, lies in /etc/grub.d/10_linux ...
    This submenu is making unnecessary waves...

Submenu makes every ordinary path unusable.
    I've comment-ed out two lines in /boot/grub/grub.cfg (that creates submenu) and...
    Next step is to tackle /etc/grub.d/10_linux but I need spare time to do that...
    Nice idea but not well-thought before implemented...

Edit in /etc/grub/10_linux:
    if [ "$list" ] && ! $in_submenu; then
    # echo "submenu \"Previous Linux versions\" {"
    in_submenu=:
    fi
    done

#if $in_submenu; then
    # echo "}"
    #fi

All is back to "normal"...
    Last edited by zika; November 27th, 2010 at 04:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

zika,

I saw the grub developers just the other day were talking about creating sublists in the Grub2 menu. I think their plan was to display the latest kernel and older kernels would be accessed via a link somehow. Looks like it may still need some adjusting...

I haven't taken the time to explore it thoroughly, but if you have and wish to, you can file a bug report (ubuntu-bug grub-pc).
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    zika,

I saw the grub developers just the other day were talking about creating sublists in the Grub2 menu. I think their plan was to display the latest kernel and older kernels would be accessed via a link somehow. Looks like it may still need some adjusting...

I haven't taken the time to explore it thoroughly, but if you have and wish to, you can file a bug report (ubuntu-bug grub-pc).
    It is not a critical bug...
    I've "solved" it, for now, and I can wait until it is polished. My machine is working as usual, with a little edit in file mentioned... Not a big deal. Interesting and good way to learn couple of new things. Nice thing for Saturday...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

New version, same problem with selecting non-first kernel...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question: I want to remove the choice of "Vista" Loader (sda1) from the grub menu. I have a dual boot laptop with W7 being the ******* OS (sda2) and Ubuntu 10.10 being the Linux OS (sda4).

The sda1 partition is for Acer recovery (PQSERVICE) of the factory setup. I don't want to boot into that, due to the fear that it would reformat my HD and zap all my data, and my Ubuntu OS as well.

I do not know why Ubuntu setup recognised it as a "Vista loader" since the computer came with W7 installed. Also sda1 is a "hidden" partition in Windows, but not in Linux of course.

excerpt from my grub.d file

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 0ca20080a200708e
    chainloader +1
    }
    menuentry "Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set f07602097601d0f0
    chainloader +1
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    Using POP!_OS 20.04, which is basically Ubuntu 20.04 with some help from System76.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jlh68 View Post
    Question: I want to remove the choice of "Vista" Loader (sda1) from the grub menu.
    Take a look at the G2-Title Tweaks link in my signature line. It's a very geeky thread but you can find your answer there. Take a look at section 6 and 7. If you have questions about how to do it, post in that thread.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Question Re: Grub 2 Basics

Greetings, I've spent a while looking through the forums and this thread seems to come the closest to my problem after upgrading online from Lucid 10.04.1 to Meerkat 10.10 on my iMac (see signature below for more details).

As happened in my previous attempts to either upgrade or install from a CD, the system hangs/gets stuck when it boots in the normal mode to the log-in screen. At first I thought it had something to do with my wireless "Magic Mouse" and keyboard, but I discovered that I can boot in the recovery mode with no problem. Since I upgrade only several days ago, I assume that I have the latest kernel.

Please advise.
    MacBook (black) 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, dual boot OSX 10.6.5 and Linux Mint 10 Julia
    iMac 10,1, 21.5", 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.6.5, Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Old Codger View Post
    As happened in my previous attempts to either upgrade or install from a CD, the system hangs/gets stuck when it boots in the normal mode to the log-in screen.
    I have no experience with iMacs. It could be a video driver issue. At the Grub menu, press "e" to edit the selected menuentry.

Find the "linux" line and go to the end. The last two entries are probably quiet splash. Add nomodeset to the end of the line so it ends with quiet splash nomodeset

Press CTRL-x to boot. If it boots to the Desktop, go to System, Administration, Additional Drivers and see if there is a video driver available for your system.

Note: Adding 'nomodeset' via the Grub menu is not persistent (it won't be there the next time you boot). If this solved your problem but you weren't able to add a driver and continue to need to add 'nomodeset', edit the /etc/default/grub file and add nomodeset to the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" line. Save the file, then run "sudo update-grub" to update the menu.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Old Codger View Post
    Greetings, I've spent a while looking through the forums and this thread seems to come the closest to my problem after upgrading online from Lucid 10.04.1 to Meerkat 10.10 on my iMac (see signature below for more details).

As happened in my previous attempts to either upgrade or install from a CD, the system hangs/gets stuck when it boots in the normal mode to the log-in screen. At first I thought it had something to do with my wireless "Magic Mouse" and keyboard, but I discovered that I can boot in the recovery mode with no problem. Since I upgrade only several days ago, I assume that I have the latest kernel.

Please advise.
    Try this:
    On Grub menu "E"
    Add "text" to "quiet splash" on kernel line
    Ctrl-X to boot
    Log-in
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    add GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
    save (Ctrl-X)
    sudo update-grub
    reboot
    Hopefully, enjoy...
    Last edited by zika; December 5th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Beans

Greetings drs305 and zika,

Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

First, I'm not savvy enough about Linux to know if the Nvidia driver might be causing a problem, but it wasn't a problem with Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04.

Second, when I edited the grub kernel line and booted (ctrl x), I was unable to log-in. The log-in screen didn't respond. That route appears to be a dead end.

Is there a way to resolve the problem perhaps using command lines in terminal?
    MacBook (black) 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, dual boot OSX 10.6.5 and Linux Mint 10 Julia
    iMac 10,1, 21.5", 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.6.5, Linux Mint 9 Fluxbox

Page 69 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast