Page 52 of 94 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

That is pretty much my attitude.

The link to the "dedicated boot partition" is something I need to study in depth though. That actually sounds like it may make sense in some of the situations I have seen on the forums.

I do wonder, in this head in the sand age, if improving your knowledge base is a real good idea. Ignorance seems much more popular than it used to be. It appears that being ignernt is cool. Cool, of course, is the thing to strive for.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

It appears that being ignernt is cool.
    Wow, then I'm cool!

Maybe you're not old enough to have noticed but as I've aged I find I know much less than I thought I did when I was younger

Beans

I was amazed at how much smarter my dad got the older I got. He is not getting any smarter that I can tell now.

He has gone off to the next adventure.

I am just a pup, born in '52.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

I have Ubuntu on my USB pendrive.... i dont want to install it to hard disk, just use it as is on the USB Drive.

I have Ubuntu 9.10 or Ubuntu-Mini-Remix running on the USB drive. How can i change the grub menu and Splash screen on the it. Is it the same steps follow as it is installed on hard disk?? Please let me know the steps or dir/files reference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quick question:
    Single OS (10.10) install on laptop. How to make Grub2Menu visible on start-up by default (it works with Shift pressed)...?

Feel free to correct with red...

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

How do you extend the time(>10s) in the menu to choose?
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

/etc/default/grub is the file that has the default line, timeout and resolution of GRUB2 boot screen.

"sudo gedit /etc/default/grub"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    /etc/default/grub is the file that has the default line, timeout and resolution of GRUB2 boot screen.

"sudo gedit /etc/default/grub"
    gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    Using sudo with GUI apps could get You into trouble with permissions... Well known fact and reproducible...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    Using sudo with GUI apps could get You into trouble with permissions... Well known fact and reproducible...
    It's worked fine for me for a long time, but I will update my notes and thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This thread was a lifesaver to me the other day. I had installed 10.04 to dual boot on my netbook along side 9.10. There may have been some things go wrong in the install, and there was trouble installing new software and doing updates (I could apparently install and update, but was always told there was an error of some kind.) The other thing was that Lucid seemed to run 5 to 10 degrees C hotter than Karmic, and Lucid would usually crash after about 30 minutes or so. I decided to take Lucid off my machine.

Ok, I had removed an operating system before, I had removed Windows with no problem: just delete the partition. So, I did it.

My last install was Lucid. I think that grub needed that partition to boot . . . whatever . . . got a boot error "partition not found". I didn't panic, but got on another machine and went to the forums. I found an article in the Ubuntu wiki that had all the same information that I used from this thread, but I couldn't use it. The commands that post told me to use were the same,
    but . . .
    Because of the fonts in the wiki article, I couldn't see where the spaces were in the commands, When I found this thread, I could see the spaces, and magically (not really magic, just correct syntax) I reinstalled a working grub. First try with these instructions.

I did a pretty dumb thing, but was pretty proud of myself for being able to fix it. Thanks to this thread and the Ubuntu community.

Page 52 of 94 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast