Page 27 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Grub 2 Basics

I would add that the file once edited should, or at least could, be saved as some thing like 07_custom as this will put the custom menu at the top of the generated grub.cfg.
    The custom menu (/boot/grub/custom_menu.cfg) will not be processed by "grub-mkconfig". It needs to be edited directly, not through scripts. "grub.cfg" only contains a link to the the custom menu. One could place that link in 07_custom, rather than 40_custom, so that the link appears at the top of the regular Grub Menu. But I don't think one would ever use that link manually, so the bottom of the regular Grub Menu seems to be the correct place.

before doing any disabling of things like 30_os-prober.
    No need to disable 30_os-prober with my How To. In fact I would recommend against it. The hidden regular Grub menu will contain the items generated by os_prober. They might come in handy some day.

As you can see from the link in my sig it is not needed to sell me on grub2.
    I just trying to convince you and kansasnoob not the give up on Grub2 so easily. I have seen several cases where reverting to Legacy Grub was recommend, although a solution with Grub2 would have been just as easy.

Beans

I was not giving up on grub2, just the OP.

I have grub2 on anything that has it in the repos and run grub1.98 on 9.10.

I find that renaming the file to 07_custom (and making sure that it is enabled to be executable) indeed putsit at the top of the menu with update-grub. This is the way it is on all my installs from PhatDebian (Lenny respin running on 2.6.30 so it can deal with ext4 OS' and read their files) to 9.04, 9.10 and 10.04A2. This spans grub1.96, grub1.97beta4, grub1.97 and grub1.98 (yes I have a lot of installs).

Grub2 is an improvement over grub-legacy. Os-prober is a problem but that is not the fault of the grub devs. It has never, in my experience, worked well with grub-legacy. It is improving. RPM base distros do not seem to get a good generated menu entry but they have improved to where they are easy to edit.

I find that a strictly custom menu, with symbolic menu entries are trouble free and better yet edit free as they boot the newest kernel on the partition.

The disabling of 30_os-prober is not really a problem as any new OS takes over the MBR and can easily be added to the custom menu of the other OS' through nautilus after copying an old one onto it and adding it to it.

I generally boot from one OS but on my most populated drive, my test drive, I bounce around from OS to OS to make sure they are working properly. It is easy to tell which I am using as boot/root because the background on the screen menu is the same as the xsplash/gdm or plymouth theme and my wallpaper for that install.

Menu backgrounds, as much as I really like grub-legacy, were more trouble than they were worth there plus a 12 color limit. In grub2 this is a breeze.

To some up, if you are nuts enough to multi-boot (I only have 12 OS' on my test platform) grub2 is a lot easier. If you have only 1 OS you don't even need to see the bugger. If you are silly and still dual booting with Win JerryLewis Pro (yes there is a little hostility here for MS) it is no problem unless you have a strange setup, in which case there is 40_custom.

Grub2 rox the box.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Angry Re: Grub 2 Basics

Hello! it's a nice tutorial, but i couldn't find there how to make grub load automatically, my grub2 doesn't countdown and would load if i wouldn't press enter, how can i make it load itself? any help will be appreciated! Thank you!
    Great tips and articles on how to sell Apple Mac hardware www.sellmemac.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hovrashko View Post
    Hello! it's a nice tutorial, but i couldn't find there how to make grub load automatically, my grub2 doesn't countdown and would load if i wouldn't press enter, how can i make it load itself? any help will be appreciated! Thank you![/SIZE]
    There are a few possibilities why it won't boot automatically.

1, Your settings are not set up to automatically boot:
    Open /etc/default/grub:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
    Make sure "GRUB_TIMEOUT="10" is not set to "-1". This would keep the menu displayed until you make a selection. Any positive integer will wait for the number of seconds in the entry, then boot.

Edit see posts #266/267 before accomplishing Step 2:

2. Your system is recording a "Recordfail" event, which forces the system to wait for you to make a selection.
    You should try to determine why you are getting a "recordfail" event, but there are also bugs associated with this action.

To fix it and allow the default menuentry to boot automatically, you can edit one of the scripts to prevent a "recordfail" event from stopping your system:
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/grub.d/00_header
    At the bottom of the file, make the changes in dark red:
    cat << EOF
    #if [ \${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
    # set timeout=-1
    #else
    set timeout=${GRUB_TIMEOUT}
    #fi
    EOF
    After making the changes, run this to update the menu:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Last edited by drs305; January 21st, 2010 at 10:35 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe You have grubenv from a bad boot in Yout /boot/grub folder. Move /boot/grub/grubenv somewhere or, simply, delete it, and, then, retry...
    That is, in my opinion, better than (2.) from post above...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Maybe You have grubenv from a bad boot in Yout /boot/grub folder. Move /boot/grub/grubenv somewhere or, simply, delete it, and, then, retry...
    That is, in my opinion, better than (2.) from post above...
    I should have included that in my post and have edited it. Thanks zika.

The easiest way to clear grubenv is to run this command. Do not try to edit the file manually.
    Code:
    sudo grub-editenv /boot/grub/grubenv create
    Reboot and see if Grub 2 boots normally before accomplishing Step 2 above.
    Last edited by drs305; January 21st, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Grub 2 Basics

drs305 your first post part 2 did it, thanks a bunch =),
    now only one problem bathers me it's disabling a touch-pad.
    Great tips and articles on how to sell Apple Mac hardware www.sellmemac.com

Beans

I have a dumb question or two

Consider a scenario where the Windows entry created in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    does not work properly.

If I can create a working entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom and Windows is the only OS represented in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober I can just make it non-executable by:

Code:
    sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    So, first dumb question, how can I restore the executable bit to /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober later on if I so desire, for instance if I added another OS?

Second dumb question, if Windows is not the only OS in /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober is there some way to delete it while leaving the other entries untouched.

I'm thinking "no" on the latter question so that would be a perfect place to use a custom menu like meierfra describes. I'd be able to do most of it using copy-n-paste it appears.

I'd still like to know exactly what changes when I run:

Code:
    sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    And how to change it back short of purging and reinstalling.

Beans

@ meierfra, I've been studying your tutorial:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ms:Custom_Menu

I noticed a minor typo:

Open a terminal and then open a blank file "custom_menu.cfg" via

Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/costum_menu.cfg
    I think should be custom.

Also here:

That's it. During boot up, the "Costum Menu" will appear
    Going to give that a try later. I usually have to run through a procedure 3 or 4 times to get it somewhat nailed into my memory. But that looks like a very good solution to my prior questions.

I'll shout if I run into any issues.

BTW my old eyes overlook things sometimes but I've seen you link to other HowTo's you've made on SourceForge and I'm probably just overlooking something, but is there a way to "search" all of your HowTo's on SourceForge.

Thanks in advance.

Oops just noticed these:

Add this to the end of the file:

menuentry "Costum Menu"{
    set root=(hd0,5)
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e7fee477-6a63-492e-839c-4d27ce99e2cf
    configfile /boot/grub/costum_menu.cfg
    }
    Last edited by kansasnoob; January 22nd, 2010 at 09:24 PM.

Beans

OK, sorry to be a pain, but this:

Edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom

Add this to the end of the file:

Code:
    menuentry "Costum Menu"{
     	set root=(hd0,5)
    	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e7fee477-6a63-492e-839c-4d27ce99e2cf
            configfile /boot/grub/costum_menu.cfg
            }
    I'm assuming for instance since the grub2 I'm using is on sda3:

Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    menuentry "Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-11-generic" {
            recordfail
    	set quiet=1
    	insmod ext2
    	set root=(hd0,3)
    	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 9c10b8f7-89d3-4a72-a0ab-e89d061653b0
    	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-11-generic root=UUID=9c10b8f7-89d3-4a72-a0ab-e89d061653b0 ro  splash quiet  quiet
    	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-11-generic
    }
    That would be the info I wanted to use for the "set root" and "search" settings??????

Or in other words the info from /etc/grub.d/10_linux????????

Sorry to be dense.

Page 27 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast