Page 26 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

There are changes in the configuration files, at least 05_debian-theme. It is better but quite different in the way it looks. It also gives you a nicer menu that doesn't need the font changed to be read on your background.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by meierfra. View Post
    kansasnoob: From what have I seen in the bug reports, I have been very impressed with Collin Watson. He understands Grub inside out and he does care a great deal about the user. He seems to think that upgrading Grub on Karmic will cause more problems than it will solve. Do you honestly believe that you know better?
    No. I have only my own experience to go on.

Hmmm, I don't know why that posted twice??????????

Beans

I'm learning the Grub 2. I have experience in configuring 5 Linux OS with Grub.
    Thanks for your tips!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Angry Re: Grub 2 Basics

Unless I am missing something I (and I hope I am), then it seems to me that grub2 was written by windows haters. Well, I hate windows, but grub 2 was made to punish users of windows.

It is now VERY difficult to put in my own menu entries for windows and NOT get the automatic ones.

The automatic entries may be find and dandy for older versions of windows, but Vista uses TWO partions (at least by some vendors) and Windows 7 uses THREE partitions. So I get two nearly identical menu entries and I have to know which one to choose.

Well, not a problem for me, I am techie, but I am setting up a new computer for my daughter.

She will get something like:

Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)
    Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda2)

and how the heck is she supposed to know which is the recovery and which is the real menu entry to select?

She will take the easy way and scroll down to the first one she comes to....the WRONG one. Then interrupt me at whatever I am doing because her machine won't boot windows.

The best I can do AFAIK is add a THIRD entry manually

Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda1)
    Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sda2)
    Windows Vista ->select this one<-

or something like that.

That sucks.

What I really want to do is make the normal linux and normal vista entries be the first two, and maybe a blank line then all the others. Easy to do with the old grub, but AFAIK, no way to do it with grub2 except maybe manually do everything and somehow disable the automatic entries.

Or am I wrong? Please tell me I am wrong. But, I am at least right that changing the menu to be more human friendly is NOT NOT NOT easy.

--Carey
    Last edited by CareySchug; January 21st, 2010 at 06:02 AM.

Beans

Lets see here. Grub-legacy you need to go to one file and edit the entry. In grub2 you need t ogo to one file and cut and paste an entry into it.

You do have to go to a second file to change the default OS to boot to, in your case this would entail changing a 0 to a 2 (I think from the massive amount of useful info you gave us).

Yes I can see that this is tough.

I would say that what you want is in this link;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ght=kansasnoob

I would be careful to follow the directions as there are a couple pit falls that you do not want to get into. The guy that wrote this up, like drs305 and myself, is a refuge of 9.10-testing and really did a good job on that How To.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No need to revert to Legacy Grub. drs305 has a section on removing the Recovery Partition from the Grub menu in his Grub2 Title Tweak thread. See section F in Tweaks

Or you can follow drs305 advice on "Building a Totally Customized Menu" in the first post of this thread.

Edit: Opps Just noticed that you already realized this. Yes, you are right. To achieve what you want, you either have to create a custom menu or rewrite the code which generates the Grub menu. But see my next post. I wrote up what I have done for my Family computer. It is little bit of work, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. I have just two entries on my Custom Grub menu, but if I press the "SHIFT" key during boot up, I can access the regular Grub menu.
    Last edited by meierfra.; January 21st, 2010 at 11:37 AM.

Beans

No need to revert to Legacy Grub. drs305 has a section on removing the Recovery Partition from the Grub menu in his Grub2 Title Tweak thread. See section F in Tweaks
    I do not think that the OP is interested in something that complicated. This quote from his post

"That sucks.

What I really want to do is make the normal linux and normal vista entries be the first two, and maybe a blank line then all the others. Easy to do with the old grub, but AFAIK, no way to do it with grub2 except maybe manually do everything and somehow disable the automatic entries."

shows a certain lack of desire to try to learn something new.

Yes, I know that it is easy to do. Yes a simple edit to make windows the default and then hit the"page up button" to go to Ubuntu would be simple. Yes I know that a custom menu would never, ever need touched again.

This does not matter because it is not done the way it was done by grub-legacy. Therefore it sucks.

The sensible thing to do here is to revert to grub-legacy. I would not dwell too long on the fact that it is not supported any longer.

Beans
    Distro

The sensible thing to do here is to revert to grub-legacy.
    I disagree. Grub 2 just has to many nice feature which one should not give up so easily. Look at this howto I just wrote up. Setting it up, is little bit of work. But then one has a custom menu, which is just as easy to manage as in Legacy Grub, and the ability to access the regular Grub 2 menu with all the recovery options and extra kernels.

And I don't think its more difficult to do than reverting to Legacy Grub.
    Last edited by meierfra.; January 21st, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Deleted (did not contain any useful information)
    Last edited by meierfra.; January 21st, 2010 at 11:36 AM.

Beans

I disagree. Grub 2 just has to many nice feature which one should not give up so easily. Look at this howto I just wrote up. Setting it up, is little bit of work. But then one has a custom menu, which is just as easy to manage as in Legacy Grub, and the ability to access the regular Grub 2 menu with all the recovery options and extra kernels.

And I don't think its more difficult to do than reverting to Legacy Grub.
    Very nice How To. Very nice.

I would add that the file once edited should, or at least could, be saved as some thing like 07_custom as this will put the custom menu at the top of the generated grub.cfg. I like that so that it can be checked before doing any disabling of things like 30_os-prober.

As you can see from the link in my sig it is not needed to sell me on grub2. I had some problems with grub-legacy when I started using Ubuntu and multi-booting with other Linux distros. Learned to love the bugger for its power and flexibility. Grub2 is better.

Page 26 of 94 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast