Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Ha ok yes you are right, sorry.
    You can get rid of my post

Beans

"invalid or unsupported executable format" is usually a result of a mapping error on grub 1 but you seem to have it mapped correctly. i can only guess that the device.map might be wrong,
    try checking /boot/grub/device.map and see if /dev/sdc is actually (hd2) like grub thinks it is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Drs305, thanks for this howto ! My problem was a plethora of old kernels that were displayed when I used GRUB2 to boot into Jaunty ; I had tried to edit them using the methods that worked with the legacy GRUB, but no joy. Only after reading Part 3 in your excellent guide did I become aware that not only could I remove them from the GRUB2 list, but also uninstall them via «Synaptic», thereby saving a considerable amount of space on my HDD. Now it's done, and things are looking a lot better at boot-up time ! Your work is highly appreciated !...

Henri

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

great tutorial indeed.i had the same problem as my friend mhenriday with lot of kernels and also that grub2 copied the old grub file and made one of his own so i had doubles for the kernels i had, hehe. I just removed executable for 30_ this was the otheros that had been copied from old grub and uninstalled from synaptic and thats all
    -A

Beans

10_linux generates the list of kernels on the current partition on mine
    30_os-prober generates the list of kernels and other os's such as windows on other partitions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

drs305, Thanks for this. It helped clear up some confusions. I have a couple of questions though.

/etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    If I wante to remove both quite and splash do I need to make the line as follows:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""

That's what I did with no errors. Could I just as well comment it out?

# Building a Totally Customized Menu: Ok, admit you are a control freak and you want to see only what you build yourself - customized titles, no "memtest86+" and no extra kernels. Here is how you do it:

* Remove the executable bit from /etc/grub.d/10_linux, /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ and /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    Removing the executable bit from any file in /etc/grub.d will exclude the file from being included in grub updates.
    Code:

sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/10_linux /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    I'm curious why we need to remove the executables from above statement?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

VMC,

That's what I did with no errors. Could I just as well comment it out?
    Yes, commenting out the statement would serve the same purpose.

I'm curious why we need to remove the executables from above statement?
    The purpose is to prevent duplication of items in a custom menu. Only the files in grub.d that are considered when building menu.cfg are those that are executable. So if you remove that designation it's like the file doesn't even exist for purposes of building a new menu. If the file's script is run, update-grub will probably find the same kernels you have already designated in your custom menu and will reproduce them in the final menu.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Hi methewjay,

Quote Originally Posted by methewjay View Post
    You may have heard about another Linux bootloader called LILO
    Still the default loader for Slackware linux where it has given trusted service for a long time .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I tried to uninstall all of the old linux headers by going through synaptic. They are no longer showing in synaptic but they are still showing in grub after running an update. I took a look in the boot folder and all of the old headers are still there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nolster12 View Post
    I tried to uninstall all of the old linux headers by going through synaptic. They are no longer showing in synaptic but they are still showing in grub after running an update. I took a look in the boot folder and all of the old headers are still there.
    Did you also use Synaptic to uninstall the older "linux-image-2.6.XX-X" files. Look in /boot to see if you still have "vmlinuz-2.6.XX-...", which is what you must uninstall to remove the entries from grub. As noted, they are vmlinuz.. in /boot but linux-image-2.6... in Synaptic.
    Last edited by drs305; August 30th, 2009 at 02:21 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 2 of 94 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast