Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Quote Originally Posted by gibbylinks View Post
    Can anyone help. My GRUB menu just sits there until I select an option. It used to just carry on it's own way. Not sure whats caused the change

Thanks

/etc/default/grub file below

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
    # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="0"
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entrys
    #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"
    Try with this:similar problem that I solved myself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    For whatever reason, they didn't call the package grub2. It's called grub-pc
    Actually, it is called grub2 - at least in synaptic there is one but grub-pc gets installed with it. So it might be just a "link name" to the other package.
    HOWEVER, what I meant is that neither grub2, nor grub-pc was installed but grub (grub1). So when the kernel updates run and they called update-grub, it was looking for a menu.lst as it was the grub1 configuration utility.

Beans

A question about grub2 decoration using BURG

A question about grub2 decoration using BURG
    I've followed this guidehttp://ubuntuguide.net/decorate-grub...1#comment-2121and make it successfully.But I want to know how to add OS logo icons to the panel.Like pictures here:http://grub.gibibit.com/Themes.Anyone could tell me detailedly? I'm a green hand.
    My OS is Ubuntu9.10 and boot by grub2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: A question about grub2 decoration using BURG

Quote Originally Posted by lwq316 View Post
    A question about grub2 decoration using BURG Anyone could tell me detailedly? I'm a green hand.
    My OS is Ubuntu9.10 and boot by grub2.
    That is an interesting site and although I generally am not "into" eye candy I think I'll play with this when I return from vacation.

The main reason for this post is to suggest you open a new thread along the lines of "Grub 2 Theming" or such. Although theming is still in development in G2, BURG appears to be a nice step and I'm sure many users would be interested in exploring it and other ways to enhance their Grub 2 menus.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

I am trying to set up a computer for someone that isn't very computer savvy, and I've set it up to dual boot so they boot to Windows for games (with all easy icon access to web browsers removed) and boot to Ubuntu for everything else.

Everything seems good--I've gotten it down to two entries (grub_disable_linux_uuid=true and sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+), but I can't seem to find a way to edit how those entries will show up on the menu.

When I look at the documentation, the entry for "GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR" is supposed to affect the name, but right now it says "echo Debian'" but it doesn't show up in the menu as Debian, it shows as "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic" and the windows entry shows up as "Microsoft Windows XP Professional (on /dev/sda1)".

I'm wanting the Ubuntu entry to simply show as "Internet and Email" and the Windows entry to show up as "Games"--I want it to be really simple for the person I'm setting this computer up for.

Is this possible to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by maestrobwh1 View Post
    i can't seem to keep grub from wiping out my mbr. I have karmic installed on an sd card on my desktop and a cf card in the expresscard port on my laptop. Both, when i run

dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc, ask what device i want to install grub on, and i choose sdb1 and not sda1.

The i run the windows setup and do "fixmbr" to make the internal disk bootable should i not have the sd card or cf card inserted. This works until one of the kernels or grub upgrades, then it still insists to install itself on sda1 and sda2. I clearly do not want it on sda1 on these two machines and can't seem to prevent that.

Help?
    bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by maestrobwh1 View Post
    I can't seem to keep grub from wiping out my MBR. I have Karmic installed on an SD card on my desktop and a CF card in the Expresscard port on my laptop. Both, when I run

dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc, ask what device I want to install grub on, and I choose sdb1 and not sda1.

The I run the windows setup and do "fixmbr" to make the internal disk bootable should I not have the sd card or CF card inserted. This works until one of the kernels or grub upgrades, then it still insists to install itself on sda1 and sda2. I clearly DO NOT want it on sda1 on these two machines and can't seem to prevent that.
    I have talked to the devs about similar issues. One thing that might apply to your situation is that if Ubuntu is installed on sdb it may still install Grub 2 on sda. They consider it a bug.

In your situation, do you know which drive boots first? If you change the boot order in BIOS so that Ubuntu boots first it may keep the system from writing to the Windows MBR. I don't know for sure but it's something you might try. At the very least, it should speed up the Grub menu displaying since Grub 2 currently would look at sda before moving on to sdb to find the Grub files.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is a great guide. Many thanks for writing it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Grub 2 Basics

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    The Grub 2 Guide
    (formerly Grub 2 Basics)

... /etc/default/grub
    * This file contains information formerly contained in the upper section of Grub Legacy's menu.lst and items contained on the end of the kernel line. The items in this file can be edited by a user with administrator (root) privileges...
    Quote:[/LIST]
    Thank you for posting!

Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast