Thread: Internet problems on fresh 9.04 install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Internet problems on fresh 9.04 install

My tower crashed so I decided I would do a fresh install on it. I was previously running 8.10. My wireless card was working fine then. When I installed 9.04 I installed bcm43xxx-fwcutter (not 100% on the name) to get my wireless running. It was REALLY slow like 15kb/s max. So I tried to remove them so I could reinstall them. After rebooting after the uninstall I was getting speeds of 700kb/s +. So I shut down my computer and moved it back into the room where I keep it. Started it up and it was slow again. I tried reinstalling the drivers and doing the fetch firmware. Still nothing.

To compare I went to speedtest.net and used my laptop vs my tower
    Laptop 12.17 Mb/s down 2.79 Mb/s up
    Tower(with bcm43) 1.68 Mb/s down .79Mb/s up (these aren't the exact numbers but close)
    Tower(w/o bcm43).28Mb/s down .1Mb/s up (These are exact )

Is this a known problem cause I can't find any info on it that concerns 9.04. If you need me to post any info just let me know.

Thx.
    Last edited by penguinchrissy; June 23rd, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Beans

Re: Internet problems on fresh 9.04 install

You have to activate the drivers too. It sounds like you did that, but can you confirm that you infact did do that?

Beans

The same problem began happening to me after I upgraded my kernel a week or so ago. I also use the bc43xx-fwcutter thing for my linksys wireless g pci card when my internet started running slow I opened a terminal and ran the following.
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    And it said somtething like
    Ignoring unknown interface WLAN0
    When I ran the command again it didn't say that again and my internet ran smoothly for a while. So when my internet started running slow again I ran the command again. The first time it complained about unknown interface WLAN0 and the second time it didn't and my internet started running smootly again.

This seems to be a temporary fix for me. Please let me know how it works for you.

Beans
    Distro

I did get the same message as you did when doing the network restart wither the drivers were installed or not. Having the drivers did make a small difference from like .56 to 1.28 (making up rough numbers). Installed a different card I had laying around get up to 9 but avg about 6. Better but still not great. My old card was a microsoft broadband networking card MN-730, My new one is a Dynex. Thanks for the suggestions.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tmht View Post
    You have to activate the drivers too. It sounds like you did that, but can you confirm that you infact did do that?
    Is there something special I have to do to do this. Like a command or is just going to synaptic and installing them there and restarting good enough?