Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9.04 + ndisgtk + Marvell W8300 = death

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: 9.04 + ndisgtk + Marvell W8300 = death

Bumping this one more time in case there's another sucker like me with this card.

Thank you Nyken, your solution helped me to avoid the frozen Gnome problem perfectly. I coupled that with information in this thread , and now my wifi is perfect. Works better than it ever did in Windows, even.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: 9.04 + ndisgtk + Marvell W8300 = death

I posted how to do that on another thread about sharing internet connections with a Mac. I've cut and pasted the part important to you here:

Additionally, some Ubuntu set-ups like mine need to have the wireless connection up before the login screen comes up or their
    desktop never finishes loading and they get none of those really awesome bongo drums playing. Or maybe you'd like your wireless
    up and roaring when you decide to boot into the command line. Well, next is an option that I detailed in another post of mine,
    but this one's modified since for various reasons decided to actually use some kind of encryption this time around.

If you'd like to or need to do this, open your favorite text editor as Root. All of these next steps will need to be done as
    Root, by the way.

1) In the text editor of your choice, we're going to make a small startup script named "won," which is short of "Wireless On."

This is the script that I use:

ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 essid <name of network>
    iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
    iwconfig wlan0 key <the hexadecimal password you chose without the "$">
    dhclient wlan0

2) Save this script as /etc/init.d/won and make it executable by typing sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/won

Reboot your computer and all should be well in the world.

This idea here is the Holy Grail solution we Marvell W8300 users sought - > getting the net connection running as part of booting up well before GDM or KDM is even accessed. This idea will get you a internet connection even if you're only wanting to boot to the command line. Init.d holds all the startup programs and scripts, the list of the very first programs to load, so that's when the connection needs to be made. Gnome, KDE, etc., loads as part of the second-stage.

If this doesn't work for you, this other thread has a number of other great suggestions that I'm confident will.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188

Best of luck. Took me better part of a month to find the perfect streamline for this. I'm using that card as I type this, so these steps DO work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: 9.04 + ndisgtk + Marvell W8300 = death

Oops! Glad to have helped then!

These forums have really helped my transition from Windows. There is only one thing I can't do here now, and I will find how sooner or later - how to get EverQuest to work!

*Brain still asleep*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12