Thread: phpmyadmin hacked

Beans

phpmyadmin hacked

I made a bad mistake with the apache configuration for a phpmyadmin on a server of mine and i was attacked by this sql injection attack: http://www.hackerscenter.com/index.p...ction-RCE.html

So somebody hacked my phpmyadmin install recently and now I am trying to decide what needs to be done to clean it up. The server does not host valuable websites itself but does contain valuable data and code. Once I realized I had been hacked, I took phpmyadmin out of apache and then did a complete purge of the package and all its configuration files. Then I reinstalled it. phpmyadmin seems to be fixed (including the bonehead error on the apache2 config), but I am concerned what else an attacker might have does while it was hacked. It was several days before I realized the trouble.

If it was just a vandalism thing and purging/reinstalling phpmyadmin fixes it, then I'll let it go. But I don't know enough to say that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: phpmyadmin hacked

id be fins with it then

how do you know your hacked? i have php admin installed...

Beans

Re: phpmyadmin hacked

The first sign I had was that I could not log into phpmyadmin. It said something about an invalid host. in digging around about the error, I found about about the attack and they changes made. Basically, the file config.inc.php in /var/lib/phpmyadmin was changed to something else (an normal install has an empty file there. the one ubuntu uses is somewhere else) Where the hostname for phpmyadmin is specified is had phpinfo() inserted. You are probably safe. I had my apache configured incorrectly such that certain phpmyadmin directories where not protected as they should have been.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: phpmyadmin hacked

Quote Originally Posted by maddentim View Post
    I made a bad mistake with the apache configuration for a phpmyadmin on a server of mine and i was attacked by this sql injection attack:
    LoL, check the logfiles, find the IP, find the ISP, find the tech/legal contact mail-address, write an E-Mail asking them to stop servicing that hacker / issue him a warning.

Don't ask for his address, they have to abide data privacy protection laws and taking the necessary legal action is too expensive anyway. Besides, it might just be a stupid kid who doesn't know what he/she is doing.
    Last edited by WitchCraft; June 25th, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
    Linux is like a wigwam.... no Gates, no Windows but Apache inside!
    http://www.debianadmin.com
    apt-get install libstdc++6-4.3-doc