Thread: Best BibTex bibliography manager?

Beans

Best BibTex bibliography manager?

Hi all,
    I am just starting a project and want to keep my references stored in a BibTex database. I have downloaded and installed Tellico, Referencer, JabRef, Pybliographic (worst application name ever?) and KBibTex. JabRef looks pretty good, but could anyone recommend one they have found to be useful please?
    Dell M1330 - Intel Duo T7300 2.00GHz - GeForce 8400M GS - 2GB RAM - Broadcom BCM5906M - Hardy

Beans

Re: Best BibTex bibliography manager?

I prefer zotero - which is a plugin for firefox.

http://www.zotero.org/

Beans

You'll find exactly the same discussion on other threads, but here we go again...

I vote for JabRef, because:

The database is my bibtex file, something I need anyway. And something I can edit with vi, emacs or whatever if I want. In other words, I don't need to add another layer of software, depend on web access, or on a database with its dependencies.

It "just works". Very well also. Great to do searches for articles or keywords, and then just click on the pdf to view the paper

Has good import of endnote, ris, etc.

And good export as .rtf and other stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I vote for kBibTeX. Again it manages the .bibtex file directly, unlike Referencer. I tried both kBibTeX and JabRef and just liked kBibTeX better, though I don't think there's any major features one has over the other.

Beans

pybliographic -- does not require java and it does everything I need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

depends on the research field, some bibliography managers do have plugin that get bibtex info from the web; for example Referencer works nicely with arxiv.org

in general its a matter of taste + there are many free website that provide social bibliographical management like
    citeulike.org
    mostly harmless
    8)
    GS d- s+: a-- C++ UL P L++ E--- W++ N o K w+ O- M- V- PS- PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++++ DI- D++G e+++ h-- r-- y-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I like jabref because it can link to pdf on my local filesystem, and it can autogenerate bibtex keys based on any author-year-title pattern I choose to give it.

I name my pdfs in the format: Smith2008 and Smith2008a (for the first and second papers by Smith (first author) in 2008). Then, jabref monitors the pdf folder automatically, and links the bibtex file to the pdf. Whenever I import new references, jabref automatically changes the bibtex key to match the Smith2009 filename pattern.

Syncing my master .bib file with Dropbox makes this an incredibly convenient and versatile system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I too vote for Jabref. It's intuitive, easy to import new entries using drag/drop, easy to let it keep track of the downloaded articles, easy to copy cite keys. Well to be frank, it just works out of the box. Oh yeah, it works on Windows as well, but that advantage is minor.

Beans

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm currently trying out both JabRef and BibTex, both of which seem very good. Much easier than typing the thing out in a text editor like I used to do that's for sure!
    Dell M1330 - Intel Duo T7300 2.00GHz - GeForce 8400M GS - 2GB RAM - Broadcom BCM5906M - Hardy