Thread: hsfmodem can't be authenticated

Beans

hsfmodem can't be authenticated

Hi, I'm just installing some updates on my laptop and I got a message that some packages can't be authenticated. I had a look and it turns out that they are hsfmodem and hsfmodem-base-dkms. Does anyone know if it is alright to install these updates?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: hsfmodem can't be authenticated

Which repository is hsfmodem in? I just checked Synaptic on the machine I'm using right now (my Eee pc running Jaunty Netbook Remix) and I couldn't find hsfmodem. I haven't got many third-party repos enabled on this machine - just Canonical and Medibuntu - so this suggests to me that hsfmodem must be in a different third-party repo? Am I right? Which repo contains the app?

You should only get software from sources you trust. The inability to authenticate the download raises more doubt. If you tell us which repo hsfmodem comes from, someone here will be able to tell you if he trusts that source. But in the end, only you can decide whether to trust the repo or not.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Re: hsfmodem can't be authenticated

Hey, thanks for your response. I've had a look at the maintainer of the software, it is linux-desktops@lists.dell.com. It seems it is software for the modem, it's a Dell laptop so it must have been preinstalled.