Thread: RTL8187 Slow Connection Speed

Beans

RTL8187 Slow Connection Speed

I am trying to install the a wireless USB dongle. It is the Rosewill RNX-G1W and is uses the RTL8187 wireless chip.

It initially worked very poorly (Very low signal strength and speed). I installed the Jaunty backport modules and and it is performing much better. I have full signal strength and faster speeds.

According to iwconfig, the bitrate is at a healthy 54mbps. However, when transfering files over the network, i am only seeing about 1 MByte/s (which is 8 Mbps). This speed is acceptable when surfing the internet, but it sucks for streaming DVDs (which needs about 16 mbps to stream comfortably).

Is this issue with the driver i have installed? Or is 1MByte/s all i can hope for when dealing with a wireless g network?

Thanks
    Gerald

P.S. I am running Mythbuntu 9.04 (I am trying to setup a new frontend)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: RTL8187 Slow Connection Speed

Hi,

I read another thread about some other guy/gal having the exact same problem as you. Turned out, that it was a problem with his/her USB port not being a USB 2.0 port, and thus, his/her max. speed was theoretically 12 Mbps. That's one place to start

Beans

Re: RTL8187 Slow Connection Speed

Hi, I'm having the same problem, but mine is an internal wireless card in a Gateway W-350i.
    When using the wireless connection, it behaves like I'm using a 1Mb/s connection but when I use the ethernet port, I get 10Mb/s