Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nvidia driver issue

Beans

nvidia driver issue

I am having an issue with my nvidia drivers. I have dual nvidia geforce 8800's with sli and I need the driver for them.

What I have done:

-I have done all of the updates when I first logged in. This installed the nvidia driver version 180. Upon restart I get hung up at "checking battery state [OK]"
    -I also tried driver version 173, this had the same error as the other driver.

I have figured out how to access terminal, install packages and some other basic stuff but it's only been 24 hours using it. Just a heads up.

Edit: After trying the driver version 180 again I left the computer for a bit and just came back. The screen is now hung up on "reloading system log daemon..." I reinstalled the system and I have a fresh version on their now.
    Last edited by Heldrex; June 22nd, 2009 at 02:45 AM.

Beans

Re: nvidia driver issue

Update. I have also tried using Envy and came up with the same error... "Checking battery state.." This is a desktop so I don't have a battery. Is this a bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you tried going to the Nvidia site and downloading a driver?

Beans
    Hidden!

Get the 185driver from nvidia's site and compile it yourself. There's detailed instructions too!

Beans

I had the same problem when I installed two cards for use with three monitors (so no sli). I fixed it by running nvidia-xconfig -a (as described in more detail in this reply to a previous poster: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=12 ). The "-a" tells nvidia-xconfig to configure all available gpus. I realize sli will probably lead to other issues, so this might not solve your problem. But given that I got hung up in the same place ("checking battery state"), using nvidia-xconfig -a might also be a necessary first step for you.

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ~sHyLoCk~ View Post
    Get the 185driver from nvidia's site and compile it yourself. There's detailed instructions too!
    I was at the website but got held up at a certain point so I tried doing it through applications. I tried running the script "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run" and that got this "sh: Can't open NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run" I have the file sitting on my desktop and the file name is exactly that following the sh command. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When I installed my Nvidia driver i had to kill GNOME install it, and then start GNOME again.

Beans

I found a help for this on the nvidia forum and lost the link. (on a different computer now.)

I used this series of commands.

Log Out
    Ctrl-alt-F1

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

cd Desktop

Sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run
    This installed and when it went to compile it said it didn't find a program from NVIDIA and compiled itself. Is this right?

Sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Upon restart I got the battery hangup again. Do I have to configure something? Is there a way I can do that without reinstalling/repeating my process?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Heldrex View Post
    I was at the website but got held up at a certain point so I tried doing it through applications. I tried running the script "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run" and that got this "sh: Can't open NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run" I have the file sitting on my desktop and the file name is exactly that following the sh command. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
    Here's how I installed the NVIDIA drivers:
    1. Hold CTRL+F1 to get to the terminal.
    2. Write your login name and password.
    3. Write "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop"
    4. Use the cd command to get to the folder where the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run file is.
    5. Write "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run" and follow the instructions.
    6. Write "sudo reboot", or use "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start"(rebooting may be safest).
    EDIT: Ah, you just beat me to it. Sorry, I have no clue what's going on.

Beans

No problem.

I think the issue is that I don't have the pre compiled kernel. While in the text only mode I am unable to access the internet through my router so it makes this difficult.

"No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel; would you like the installer to attempt to download a kernel from {location}"
    Answer: yes

Unable to connect

The installer will need to compile the kernel.

::compiles::

Would you like to run NVIDIA-xconfig utility to automatically update your x configuration file so that the NVIDIA X driver will be used when you restart X? Any pre-existing X config will be backed up.
    Answer: Yes

sudo reboot

After that I get the hang up. Alt-F4 brings me back into the terminal. Once in the terminal I tried to run nvidia-xconfig -a but this had an error saying it
    "could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl"
    "ERROR: Unable to determine number of GPU's in system; cannot honor '--enable-all-gpus' option"
    "ERROR: unable to write to directory '/etc/X11/'
    Last edited by Heldrex; June 22nd, 2009 at 08:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast