Thread: Did I just break my harddrive from partitioning it?

Beans

Did I just break my harddrive from partitioning it?

I tried moving a partition from the right, to some blank space to the left, It failed and I got about 7 different errors. When I booted, all of my files were unusable, I couldn't connect to the internet, and any program I tried to use would act buggy and then crash, and then Xubuntu itself crashed. So I tried reistalling twice in the past few hours, it runs Slow but runs, then when I restart after installing the updates, it just shows a blue screen, and the mouse. I've never had problems with xubuntu right after installation, which leads me to believe that maybe I damaged my harddrive.

Is it possible to cause damage to the harddrive just with Gparted? If that's not the problem, then why else are my 2 attempts at a fresh install failures now, when they never have been in the past?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Did I just break my harddrive from partitioning it?

I doubt that your hdd is broken. You can use the live gparted or xubuntu live cds to completely delete all partitions, and start over fresh. You can also use a utility such as dban to completely wipe your hdd.
    -merlin

Beans

When I reinstalled Xubuntu, I did erase all the old partitions and replace them, but Xubuntu is unusable directly after install, and I've used the same exact CD to install xubuntu before with no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Again, it might be best to completely wipe your hdd using dban or similar utility, from a bootable cd.

And cds can get scratched, so unless you run the test from the opening menu, you can't be sure that it is okay.
    -merlin