Thread: Can i install xubuntu to another HDD

Beans

Can i install xubuntu to another HDD

I have a question : i have 2 PC's one is Pentium4 and the other is Pentium3 , i have formatted accidentally the HDD of the P3 , and now can i connect the HDD of the P3 in the P4 and install xubuntu ,and then return the HDD on the P3 will it work
    And can i install it with USB drive because i dont have a CDRW to burn xubuntu

or can i install another distro like this ,maybe Debian
    Last edited by Besian; June 21st, 2009 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Can i install xubuntu to another HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Besian View Post
    I have a question : i have 2 PC's one is Pentium4 and the other is Pentium3 , i have formatted accidentally the HDD of the P3 , and now can i connect the HDD of the P3 in the P4 and install xubuntu ,and then return the HDD on the P3 will it work
    Yes and no. This is ill advised for the simple reason that when you install Linux, your hardware is automatically detected and configured during installation so all works upon start up (mostly). If you install on a different motherboard/components, this won't be so, you might have to manually tweak some things to get it working right. You can work around this but it's just easier to install on the machine you need to, especially for novices.

And can i install it with USB drive because i dont have a CDRW to burn xubuntu
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

or can i install another distro like this ,maybe Debian
    You can install any distro you want.
    Last edited by starcraft.man; June 22nd, 2009 at 12:49 AM.