Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't want to Wine...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: I don't want to Wine...

Quote Originally Posted by akurashy
    Umm... how can wine and cedega be slow? you might think is emulating but really it runs like a native, i run many games in my ubuntu box and none of them have trouble with wine/cedega (except the ones that aren't supported) and mouse and performance is very smooth
    This comparison of Wine with Windows XP looks interesting http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cool Re: I don't want to Wine...

Oh, haha. I wonder what the MS-guys have to say about that...

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi guys,

I saw one of you mention Morrowind. Does it run through wine? Or does it require cedega?

I mean, the only curreng games I play in winblows are Morrowind (+expansions) and TW2k6 (and this only when I have access to the CD-ROM of my father).
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

There's a Loki installer for Morrowind.
    http://www.liflg.org/?catid=7&gameid=38
    Though the movies intro sucks (choppy), but the game itself runs great. Just hit escape continuously to pass through the movie clips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks, for the link AI. However, it still doesn't tell me if it is Wine or Cedega. Though cedega is not expensive, I'd rather support a libre project (and it is free, too). Also, the installer seems to be for Morrowind only (I own both expansions)

BTW: About the videos, I once read on the Morrowind forum that using a no-cd patch and then copying the videos to the hard disk would solve these problems.

Back on topic, if any of you is into graphical adventures, ScummVM runs older ones (up to Broken Sword 2) just fine.
    Now on... Thinkpad T400

Latest news for radeon and/or radeonhd:
    ATI R600g Gains Mip-Map, Face Culling Support, 30th July 2010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

As I recall it's wine, I'm not 100% sure.

Beans

Im about to try wine, some games I have to play! XP still on drive just in case LOL.

Some keep refering to wine and cedega as emulation? Its just executing .dll's in linux! Its not emulating hardware at all. Thats where performance hits are. ANYONE who does emulation will agree, when emulating diff architectures, mostly those with a higher bit is the major hang up. I mean makeing your cpu play like its a ps2 is gonna hammer it big time. Having your video take over ops, that were in the propriatary cpu architecture on a console will take a hit. But making a x86 run a x86 program just executed diff (.dll instead) wont bring it down noticiably if at all!

Now heres to gaming on Linux anyway we can!

I think it doesnt matter how we run games on it. The point will eventually get across to the developers either way, if we just keep playing. Games that work well in linux will sell little better. NWN knew that, but the devs didnt go through with NWN2 version! Howver now we got the mac platform in the same boat as us. Those mac gamers are getting restless. We just became a larger group of gamers that want 'nix based games not dll he!!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12