Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

I didn't know about this new service called 'Weave'! It will be very useful to synchronize my Firefox profile across ubuntu and windows. Thank you so much!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    I haven't tried really anything in this thread yet, however just wanted to thank your for the time that went into preparing the advice in the guide. Very informative and a job well done!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kromagg View Post
    The "general system optimization" tips section in there is completely superfluous. It also happens to be full of misinformation, I'd just remove it or splice it out to another thread if I were you.
    I agree that it should be spliced. It was originally, so I just included the link. Anyway, would you mind explaining why you think there is misinformation?

Quote Originally Posted by areteichi View Post
    I didn't know about this new service called 'Weave'! It will be very useful to synchronize my Firefox profile across ubuntu and windows. Thank you so much!!
    You are welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by kromagg View Post
    The "general system optimization" tips section in there is completely superfluous. It also happens to be full of misinformation, I'd just remove it or splice it out to another thread if I were you.
    There are some people stating that Flash performance has benefited from some of the tweaks in the other thread. Maybe those could be ported over to this thread under flash or the link just left with a note that it might not work for all etc... ????

Cheers for the info about Weave. Did not know about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    All Mozilla applications, like Thunderbird or Sunbird, stores their profiles inside .mozilla
    I don't know about Sunbird, but my Thunderbird files are in a different folder called .mozilla-thunderbird. My .mozilla folder only contains Firefox material. They've always had separate folders on my systems - Ubuntu and Windows both.
    edit: Please ignore the bit about Windows - of course the folder structures are quite different.
    Last edited by johnraff; July 10th, 2009 at 05:46 AM.
    2004 IBM desktop (2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM)
    Blatant self-advertising: a restaurant, a band and a sort of Japan blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by johnraff View Post
    I don't know about Sunbird, but my Thunderbird files are in a different folder called .mozilla-thunderbird. My .mozilla folder only contains Firefox material. They've always had separate folders on my systems - Ubuntu and Windows both.
    I have firefox, sunbird and eclipse in the ~/.mozilla folder. As far as I remember from Windows, when I used Thunderbird, it was also saved in the mozilla directory. I could be wrong tho.

Beans

Smile Re: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

Thanks for this, I run Hardy and Firefox has really been slow lately. I have been looking at other browsers but they don't have the extensions I need (Adblock Plus and NoScript).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyG View Post
    Thanks for this, I run Hardy and Firefox has really been slow lately. I have been looking at other browsers but they don't have the extensions I need (Adblock Plus and NoScript).
    You are welcome. I also stick with Firefox because of the extensions. I use several of them and they make my web experience much better.

I'm updating the tutorial right now, to include a section on how to compile Firefox 3.5. I had 30% improvement in performance with an optimized 3.5 version on Jaunty

Beans
    Distro

I have updated the "Firefox Alternatives & Newer Versions" section to include a warning about the ubuntu-mozilla-daily PPA repository, because the current Firefox package available there is already 3.5.1 Alpha.

oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

OK thanks for refering me to this. It explains a lot!

One question: in my default profile folder there is a file called "lock" When I look at properties (or try to open it) it describes it as a "broken link". What is this and should I delete it?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oxf View Post
    OK thanks for refering me to this. It explains a lot!

One question: in my default profile folder there is a file called "lock" When I look at properties (or try to open it) it describes it as a "broken link". What is this and should I delete it?

Thanks
    No, don't delete it. I'm not sure, but I think the lock file is created when you use the profile with Firefox, to prevent another Firefox instance using -no-remote to use the same profile, which could cause conflict of data being saved to it.

Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast