Page 51 of 82 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave View Post
    That would be great... its good to have a sanity check
    It will have to be later tho. I'm in the process of releasing a new version of Umarks and since it could help users that will install Lucid from scratch tomorrow, then I want to release it today. I'm currently going nuts with the last tests and tutorial development. But I'm really excited about this new version.

Beans
    Distro

Ghostery is slowing down tab switching

If you are experiencing slow tab switching in Firefox recently, disable Ghostery extension. I have noticed this behavior recently and I thought it was a problem with version 2.1.1, released on May 3rd, but version 2.1 also affects tab switching, although no so intensively. I didn't test older versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've downloaded and am trying to manually install a developers release of the Firetray extension in Firefox.By right clicking on the xpi file and telling it to open using Firefox it installs the extension as if I had opened Firefox from a terminal using an empty profile and does not add it to my existing profile and extensions. Help
    Just figured out one way. Created a task bar shortcut to open firefox and dragged the file over it with a mouse.
    Last edited by Bobhuber; May 7th, 2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Solved
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    I've downloaded and am trying to manually install a developers release of the Firetray extension in Firefox.By right clicking on the xpi file and telling it to open using Firefox it installs the extension as if I had opened Firefox from a terminal using an empty profile and does not add it to my existing profile and extensions. Help
    What version of Ubuntu and Firefox you are using? Have you installed a non-default Firefox version? Have you tried to do this with Firefox closed?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    What version of Ubuntu and Firefox you are using? Have you installed a non-default Firefox version? Have you tried to do this with Firefox closed?
    I'm using Lucid.I am using a compiled version (my own) of Firefox 3.6.3. I specified the exact location for both the system install and my compiled version (I tried them both) after I realized what was going on to see if it made any difference.I tried it both ways as far as having firefox open.Obviously it opens Firefox automatically when you attempt to install the extention.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Distro

I specified the exact location for both the system install and my compiled version (I tried them both) after I realized what was going on to see if it made any difference.
    Where did you setup the paths? What are the paths?

Obviously it opens Firefox automatically when you attempt to install the extention.
    So it only happens if Firefox is closed?

Beans
    Distro

Where did you setup the paths? What are the paths?
    The paths are the default (in fact you gave them to me)
    System Package - /usr/local/lib/firefox-3.6.3/firefox with what I guess is a symlink in /usr/bin/firefox to the aforementioned (not my strong point)
    Compiled - /usr/local/bin/firefox
    So it only happens if Firefox is closed?
    Nope. It will open up a new occurrence of Firefox when you attempt to install the extension.
    I also just did some playing around with some HTML files that I have on my system.
    If I double click on them it does the same thing (opens the file with what I'll call a barebones Firefox with no extensions as if I had used the terminal).
    Checked (and changed) the Preferred applications under System-Preferences and it doesn't make any difference. No clue as to whats going on.

Beans
    Distro

Nope. It will open up a new occurrence of Firefox when you attempt to install the extension.
    I also just did some playing around with some HTML files that I have on my system.
    If I double click on them it does the same thing (opens the file with what I'll call a barebones Firefox with no extensions as if I had used the terminal).
    Checked (and changed) the Preferred applications under System-Preferences and it doesn't make any difference. No clue as to whats going on.
    Can you remove the compiled version and the default one, then re-install only the default too see if it works?

Beans
    Distro

Can you remove the compiled version and the default one, then re-install only the default too see if it works?
    I have Karmic loaded on another partition thats doing the same thing when I double click on an HTML file so I'll play with that a bit also.Got to be something with the file manager and not Firefox that is causing the problem.A shortcut on the desktop or in the panel with just the command Firefox will run the compiled version with extentions (as it should). If I specify a path to the system installed Firefox that opens correctly also with the extensions which leads me to believe the symlinks are correct.

Beans
    Distro

I have Karmic loaded on another partition thats doing the same thing when I double click on an HTML file so I'll play with that a bit also.Got to be something with the file manager and not Firefox that is causing the problem.A shortcut on the desktop or in the panel with just the command Firefox will run the compiled version with extentions (as it should). If I specify a path to the system installed Firefox that opens correctly also with the extensions which leads me to believe the symlinks are correct.
    I also believe is a Gnome or Nautilus issue. I can only think that your Gnome settings are messing with this. Nevertheless, is very weird that Karmic on the other partition is doing the same thing. You could try to create a new Ubuntu user to see if it works.

Page 51 of 82 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast