Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound comes out of speakers and headphones

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sound comes out of speakers and headphones

Good day folks,
    I have just installed Jaunty 9.04 on a vostro 1520 laptop. Everything is working great, except I have one issue with the sound. it works but when i plug in headphones, it comes out of the headphones and the speakers at the same time. I cannot get it to just play on the headphones only. Please does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I believe this laptop uses snd-hda-intel. I appreciate any assistance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Sound comes out of speakers and headphones

Quote Originally Posted by houms View Post
    Good day folks,
    I have just installed Jaunty 9.04 on a vostro 1520 laptop. Everything is working great, except I have one issue with the sound. it works but when i plug in headphones, it comes out of the headphones and the speakers at the same time. I cannot get it to just play on the headphones only. Please does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I believe this laptop uses snd-hda-intel. I appreciate any assistance.
    Also having this problem... are you having any trouble with freezes? Half the time when I start the computer the mouse/keyboard don't work (helps to tap caps lock throughout the boot process) and I get lockups randomly every couple hours that need a hard reboot

Beans
    Distro

do you have a vostro 1520?

yes i experience that same symptom. I have to reboot it to get it going. I dualboot with sidux and it works fine. I have not seen the freezes with sidux and the new .30 kernel. And that new kernel works with the sound card flawlessly. Its just a real other distros have these issues.

Oh i have not been able to find a fix for the freezing issue, and i really am not sure what causes it.

as far as the sound issue, i have tried adding the lines

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=laptop
    and

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell

to my alsa-base.conf, and neither solve my problem. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, I have the Vostro 1520.

I just upgraded to the newest kernel in the jaunty repositories and it actually made things worse: wireless no longer works.

Fixing wireless isn't the big problem though, I can work on that.

What I really need is a way to stop these freezeups that are now happening every 30 minutes or less.

None of the logs have any info after a freeze, so I don't know where to start debugging...

Beans
    Hidden!

Tried upgrading to latest 2.6.30:

It fixes the headphone problems, and I haven't been getting the keyboard/mouse detection problems (in this kernel or the latest in jaunty repos.)

The broadcom wireless drivers need to be compiled from source (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7401742)

the freezes are NOT fixed... however there's a kernel panic at least now instead of just nothing. Logs still show nothing.

Ugh I don't want to have to go to windows for the first time in years.. Maybe I'll try to get OSX on this machine for a while.

Beans
    Distro

no need for the new kernel for me, although thanks for the suggestion.

I just installed alsa 1.20 for source. It was very easy. and has finally solved my intel hda issues. if anyone needs those steps let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!

bad motherboard on the new laptop... there goes two weeks of useless kernel debugging

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yoblin View Post
    bad motherboard on the new laptop... there goes two weeks of useless kernel debugging

How did you find that out? what kind of laptop was that on?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by houms View Post
    How did you find that out? what kind of laptop was that on?
    New Vostro 1520, freezes a lot when the power cable is plugged in. Thought it was a linux problem until I installed vista and it did it on that, too.

Beans

Similar to Houms, I installed the latest alsa drivers (1.0.20), which worked perfectly! I tried everything else, but nothing worked until I stumbled upon instructions to install the alsa drivers (http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...tu-jaunty-904/).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast