Thread: Chandler on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Chandler on Ubuntu

First we’ll snatch a copy of Chandler, it’s an rpm so grab a copy of alien if it isn’t already on your box ( sudo apt-get install alien ). Then we’ll convert to a .deb, then dpkg install, change directories & run the program. Finally we post a screenshot this step is optional.
    macewan@cornbread:~$ wget \
    http://downloads.osafoundation.org/chandler/releases/0 .6/Chandler_linux_0.6.i386.rpm

–18:46:46– http://downloads.osafoundation.org/c.../0.6/Chandler_ linux_0.6.i386.rpm
    => `Chandler_linux_0.6.i386.rpm’
    Resolving downloads.osafoundation.org… 204.152.186.97
    Connecting to downloads.osafoundation.org|204.152.186.97|:80… connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
    Length: 24,534,457 (23M) [application/x-rpm]

100%[===================>] 24,534,457 36.87K/s ETA 00:00

18:59:28 (31.43 KB/s) - `Chandler_linux_0.6.i386.rpm’ saved [24534457/24534457]

macewan@cornbread:~$ sudo alien -d Chandler_linux_0.6.i386.rpm
    macewan@cornbread:~$ cd /usr/local/chandler
    macewan@cornbread:~$ ./chandler
    "He who fights Monsters should see himself does not become a monster...remember, when you look into the abyss the abyss also looks into you."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Chandler on Ubuntu

For those who are curious (as I was) and don't know what Chandler is (which I didn't) - it's a PIM (Personal Information Manager).

More info here
    "Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

It looks very promising, but is slow as hell and a little bit buggy. I am looking forward to the 1.0 release.

Beans

anybody got this thing to work with ppc? looks like its not supported:

dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: ldd on `debian/chandler/usr/local/chandler/release/bin/ python' gave error exit status 1
    dh_shlibdeps: command returned error code 256
    make: [binary-arch] Error 1 (ignored)
    dh_gencontrol
    dpkg-gencontrol: error: current build architecture powerpc does not appear in pa ckage's list (i386)
    dh_gencontrol: command returned error code 65280
    make: *** [binary-arch] Error 1

Beans

tried a make install thinking it might do something (revealing my noobism) and got:

/home/elliottw/chandler/release/RunPython: line 42: /home/elliottw/chandler/release/bin/python: cannot execute binary file
    /home/elliottw/chandler/release/RunPython: line 42: /home/elliottw/chandler/release/bin/python: Success
    make: *** [/home/elliottw/chandler/release/setuptools-0.6a11-py2.4.egg.inst] Error 1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I've been checking out the osafoundation's chandler page every once in a while since 0.1 when I first saw a piece of news about it. I forgot it for a while and it's really great to see that they are making progress. Like UbuWu said, can't wait for the 1.0 release.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I've been checking out the osafoundation's chandler page every once in a while since 0.1 when I first saw a piece of news about it. I forgot it for a while and it's really great to see that they are making progress. Like UbuWu said, can't wait for the 1.0 release.

Beans
    Hidden!

Last edited by isotonic; October 14th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.