Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Acer Aspire Easystore H340 Home Server

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire Easystore H340 Home Server

Quote Originally Posted by excogitation View Post
    hey, did you also by any chance build an amd64 version for it, or can you tell me how to package it for 64 bit?
    excogitation,

Both versions are there:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...=7720&start=45

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by merelin View Post
    excogitation,

Both versions are there:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...=7720&start=45
    Thanks.
    Do you have a script at hand to control the led's according to events like failure, smart status and the like?

Another question you might have an answer for - does the H340 boot from pcie? I'm at the moment running a 10.10 from USB with log to ram and want to put in a pcie -> cf adapter card provided the box boots from pcie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can I run the desktop version on Easystore, or do I need to run the server version?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

dsmturbo, I suppose I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run the desktop version, but keep in mind that you'll need a video adapter if you actually wanted to use this as a "desktop" machine. If you are simply worried about the terminal interface, I suggest just giving it a shot anyway; once you learn, you'll never want to go back.

Because I haven't posted in this thread for a while, pictures to come of my server with its setup. I've been running Ubuntu Server for nearly two years now, and can't live without it now. This server is easily one of the best investments that I've ever made.

EDIT: Also, has anybody figured out a way to get the one-touch backup working? I'd love to be able to plug in a drive, and then script the device to perform a backup at the touch of a button.
    Last edited by nerr; May 6th, 2011 at 03:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello all.... I am chris a relative noobie to linux server stuff, well servers in general but I ended up the proud owner of an Acer H340 unfortunatly I don't like windows much and had several problems with it including after updates being kocled out of it.... so I decided if I have a server it must be Ubuntu. I followed the instructions to change it to a ubuntu server but struggled with one piece which is how exactly do you remove the line ?
    when I have attempted to do this by the CNTRL "O" it seemed to work then CNTRL "Z" but no changes seem to be written
    When I restart and look the line is still there

Could anybody give me a nudge in the right direction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i have followed you right upto getting rid of the line i'm a bit of a noobie at playing with code like this
    could you PLEASE give me few clues

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chris.delacy View Post
    Hello all.... I am chris a relative noobie to linux server stuff, well servers in general but I ended up the proud owner of an Acer H340 unfortunatly I don't like windows much and had several problems with it including after updates being kocled out of it.... so I decided if I have a server it must be Ubuntu. I followed the instructions to change it to a ubuntu server but struggled with one piece which is how exactly do you remove the line ?
    when I have attempted to do this by the CNTRL "O" it seemed to work then CNTRL "Z" but no changes seem to be written
    When I restart and look the line is still there

Could anybody give me a nudge in the right direction

Are you using "sudo nano filename", then entering your password?

Beans
    Distro

Using the 70 persistent fix and a static IP address , I was able to load Ubuntu Server 10.04 "64" bit (with only SSH included), replacing WHS. The drive was created using a PC and CD, and then moved.

I tried 11.04 32 bit Server with a bunch of packages, and that didn't work. Ping didn't return anything. Maybe someone wants to try it. I should have tried it with SSH only.

As I have read somewhere, you want to load Windows Home Server at least once, to configure the network hardware.

Beans

I am looking to sell this model with a fresh Ubuntu installation. Its a great box, but we need more speed for our industrial uses. Asking $400 w/shipping. PM me.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678