Thread: permissions noob questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

permissions noob questions

hi

i have a volume called /media/communal/ which contains multiple folders with subfolders. i am listed as Owner for the files and folders any my access to these folders/files is fine.

I want other local accounts to access some of these folders/files but only to have read access (not edit/move or delete etc.).

1) What's the best way to reset all permissions for all folders/files so that I'm the owner and nobody has any access (i've been trying a whole bunch of different settings without success so it would be good to reset and have a known base point)

2) I've created 'groupa' and made the accounts as members of 'groupa'. How should I assign permissions so that groupa have access to use all files and subfolders as below:

folder_a/ (don't want access)
    folder_a/folder_a_1/ (don't want access)
    folder_a/folder_a_2/ (want access and all sub folders)
    folder_b/ (want access and all sub folders)
    folder_c/ (don't want access)

Under Windows NTFS I know how I'd configure this and am probably expecting it to work in a similar way.

Logged in as myself or running gksudo nautilus i've then modified individual folder permissions so that 'groupa' have 'access files'. I also tried seting File Access to Read Only, but moments after setting it changes back to '---', i also clicked 'Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files'. but accounts in groupa still don't have access

please advise

thanks

Beans

Re: permissions noob questions

You only need to change the permissions for the other users to be read only.
    First they ignore you.Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you.Then you win.Gandhi
    Linux para las masas
    Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!