Thread: How do I unlock the extended partition so I can increase Ubuntu's partition size?

Beans

How do I unlock the extended partition so I can increase Ubuntu's partition size?

Even though I'm using a live CD and the harddrive is unmounted, I can't unlock the extended partition. I used to duel boot with windows XP, but not anymore, and I want to increase xubuntu's partition size to reclaim all of that extra space.

What do I need to do to unlock the extended partion?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: How do I unlock the extended partition so I can increase Ubuntu's partition size?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'unlock.' You should be able to enlarge the partition and then enlarge the partition inside, assuming there is free space to expand into, and that the partitions are not mounted.

Perhaps a screenshot from Gparted would help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I unlock the extended partition so I can increase Ubuntu's partition size?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dolphins View Post
    Even though I'm using a live CD and the harddrive is unmounted, I can't unlock the extended partition. I used to duel boot with windows XP, but not anymore, and I want to increase xubuntu's partition size to reclaim all of that extra space.

What do I need to do to unlock the extended partion?
    Turn swap off.The Live CD mounts the swap partition,which I assume is in the extended partition,and that causes the extended partition to be locked.

Select the swap partition and right click.Then select swapoff.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |