Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK so am I the only one still using Ubuntu in Maryland?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

OK so am I the only one still using Ubuntu in Maryland?

It's been a while but is anyone still using Ubuntu in Maryland?
    Just a thought since I'm not seeing any recent news.

Beans

Re: OK so am I the only one still using Ubuntu in Maryland?

"the way up and the way down, are the same" (heraclitus)

Beans
    Distro

Thanks X22

To anyone else. Looking for DSL service which honestly, without limitations, supports Linux in Maryland?

PS: Less than the same costs as cable or fibre optic systems with a once paid yearly fee for discount.

Beans
    Distro

Not to be a stick in the mud since but I looked at the site and all I see is an IRC meeting once a month. I removed Chat features and support softwares from my system a while ago.
    Any suggestions?

PS: I'm still looking for some form of higher speed internet hookup with specific Linux support. Able to purchase a new router modem if necessary but would like to have solid bi-directional control.

Beans

Smile Re: OK so am I the only one still using Ubuntu in Maryland?

I use it, and I'm in Maryland. Why do you ask?

Why would you need an ISP to do anything in particular? The network is not really tied to what operating system you use. My router is set up by browsing to 192.168.1.1 while inside the network (wired only). It works from any browser, so configuration is also independent of the operating system.

Maybe you are having a specific issue that seems to not be working. If so, can you describe the specifics?
    Last edited by Chuck Glenn; July 13th, 2009 at 08:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm trying to find a faster hookup for my system without using Cox, Comcast or Verizon. When I searched for an ISP I wound up with a dial up connection with a company in California which had no issues with Linux as an OS plus moderate Linux support. The problem I've been running into is most of the local DSL providers seem to be under the Verizon umbrella and are nothing more than broker style agents. Most of the monthly fees for Cable or FIOS are out of line and headed to a $150 per month benchmark according to industry touts. I cannot afford that. Also I don't want any "content controls", "provided softwares" or security packages which allow the ISP access to my system anytime they feel like it.

The other issue is hardware which the particular ISP will allow. I would like to have a hardware router which could be used to block both incoming and outgoing without the necessity of Microsoft software. This is a matter of shopping and not a restraint if it works with Linux and doesn't have any MS requirements. If I could remove the samba client without losing packages, I would in a heartbeat.

I understand that the signal is just a signal since I can swap between Dynamic and Static server access and would know the DSL would pick up on the signal on the wire. One of the problems I had originally was the capturing of my outgoing modem call by Verizon through a busted Network manager which I wound up removing. but I've noticed a continued amount of interference from both Comcast and Verizon when on line originating from their outsourced personnel or business office personnel constantly banging against my firewall. It has gotten severe enough where I have to block the IP ranges. It is constant and persistent against a lot of old MS port numbers or discontinued on line services or in some cases unassigned ports, which I've also blocked in an effort to maintain some stability. I looked at Covad but Verizon installation personnel interfered during the cable installation process and tried to do a half-assed job. I had to halt the installation and return Covad's equipment. Since then they do not provide service to Residential, only business and have changed ownership. It may be provincial but hopefully, without insult, I was looking for US based tech support and billing as well.

Beans

The best bandwidth for the buck right now is FiOS (which switched to from Comcast). I pay $99/mo (plus $40 in taxes) for 250 channels of TV, unlimited long distance and local telephone, and internet connectivity that varies from 15 to 22 MBps (Comcast was about 1.5 MBps on a good day). The router is a no-cost lease from them, and is configured using a browser (FireFox from Ubuntu works just fine). I have not installed anything from the vendor, nor would I, since those vendor CDS are usually just ad-ware and skinned browsers. I run a mix of O/Ss, including Ubuntu on 1 desktop (wired) and 1 laptop sometime using wired and sometimes 802.11g (WiFi) with WAP. There's nothing from the vendor installed on any of my machines, nor does there need to be. I configure what ports the router blocks and allows, and I have the password to the router.

Yes, it is their router, and yes it is running custom software (or maybe just skinned). I have no reason to believe they have some kind of back-door that is allowing them free reign within my network. If you really believe that, then get their service, and install your own router inline between theirs and your network.

Beans

I was wondering the same thing when I came across this. I miss Florida and all the LoCo users down there. Figures.. I am really starting to hate this place. I'm going to contact the LoCo Maryland manager and see whats up.. I might start up a new one if it's ok..

If there is any other Marylanders curious about a LoCo here leave a comment!!

CrypieJay

Beans
    Distro

@Chuck Glenn - Thanks for the response but the FIOS is only from Verizon and that's out for me, once they take down the copper pair they will not replace it, Comcast isn't going to happen either. Was looking for an honest company with US based support and no backroom deals with Microsoft to support their crapware and shenanighans.

@crpiejay - Not ready for a palace revolt yet but if these folks have a higher tech agenda it might be nice for us dummies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ok I use ubuntu 9.10 and DSL . I also live in beautiful downtown Curtis Bay,Md. Have been using ubuntu for 2 1/2 years . If you would like a good DSL try Cavelier . I pay $72.00 a month for unlimited long distance and local with a static IP . My computer stays on all the time and only shut down for updates .Ubuntu Karmic is rock solid .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast