Thread: how to play games on the internet

Beans

how to play games on the internet

hey guys, i have installed this game called urban terror. i tried playing it on the internet, but it doesn't show any servers. actually iv been having this problem with almost all the games that i play, even on windows. i cannot play on lan or internet, it just doesn't show any servers, even after i refresh it. are there some setting that i need to modify? i am actually behind a proxy server at my university campus. do i have to include the proxy server name and port somewhere. iv already done it in system->preferences->network proxy but it doesnt work. my internet works fine other than that, firefox,package manager,etc all work fine

Beans

Re: how to play games on the internet

I have got some problem. I play tremulous, quake 2, Wolfenstein ET, Cross Fire and in this games i can find servers without problems. But in urban terror not. I live in Spain in Barcelona and i am thing its becouse there arent servers in europe. But i dont know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

kvs
    it sounds like your network admin who administors your network has prohibited gaming on that network and is blocking your traffic.

This is common for IT people to do.
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans

i dont think that;s the case, because i know there are many people on my campus who play games on lan. are you sure that you don't need to set any extra settings?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Play games , or play the same games?

For example, there is a quake port, used specifically for gaming
    Those other people may not be using the same port.

They could be using miniclip , games played across an web browser using flash.

You need to povide more information on the game server your using and what other people are seeing.
    This may not be a like for like comparison
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.