Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NV6 Nvidia Vanta/lt xorg.conf issues

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: NV6 Nvidia Vanta/lt xorg.conf issues

Scratchy is the opposite of "fluent".

Again, as I said in a previous message, how to install the "nv" drivers?
    Acer Aspire 5730z

Beans

I'm not 100% sure.
    If you have an xorg.conf file, just get the xserver-xorg-video-nv package, then edit the xorg.conf file so that instead of 'nvidia' or 'noveau' is has 'nv'

Beans

I'm had a similar issue, and setting up an older surplus system (Compaq EVO) with a Vanta video card (nVidia Corporation NV6 [Vanta/Vanta LT] (rev 15)). I've prepared a Ubuntu system to display video on my HDTV Sony Bravia EX700. When I display 1280x720 DVD video with it on the HDTV I frequently see a horizontal line where the image jumps halfway down the screen during motion. Can't quite describe it, but it looks like the video card is having trouble displaying the DVD/DIVX video properly. Any way to fix / improve this issue?

Using the 'nv' driver in xorg.conf seems to let the card detect the HDTV's available resolutions, but 'nvidia' doesn't work at all.

On a fresh install of 10.04 it gave me a xorg dialog box at first boot, where I had to choose low graphics mode. (strangely enough that ended up being 1080p. So I used the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe and changed the driver to "nv".

With the NV driver set in xorg.conf it shows a large choice of available resolutions in System-->preferences-->monitors. But it doesn't detect the monitor name or refresh rates.

When I set the system to 720p I the screen appears wrong with 'overscan' or incorrect cropping when I press Wide on the HDTV remote.

I'm hoping to correct this by using xvidtune, and entering the modeline into xorg.conf.

Since it's such an old surplus system, I don't see the point in buying another PCI graphics card for it. Rather than 'buy more stuff' I hope to get the best video possible from this system for now by tweaking it more if possible. Any suggestions are appreciated. For anyone who's read this far in my post. Thanks!
    Are You the Ubuntu Guru?
    "By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.”
    ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Beans

Here's an example of what I'm talking about in my previous post. I see this often in video played on this machine.
    In this example video clip the train is moving fast. Perhaps this is just part of the original encoded file xvid not encoding 24 fps well enough?
    Is this possibly caused by the refresh rate of the video card being too low? Can it be fixed by tweaking the xorg.conf settings somehow?
    Last edited by dimeotane; August 26th, 2010 at 08:31 PM.
    Are You the Ubuntu Guru?
    "By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.”
    ~ Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123