Thread: CLI lovin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Lightbulb CLI lovin

I just used http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...61#post7479161

to make my terminals much easier to browse now I'm looking to do the same thing (sort of) with commands, options, and arguments.

sort of like this:sudo gedit /home/user/.dircolors

I dont see how it could be possible to do while you're inputing the nfo but could it be done after output? I find myself using the history function constantly and really like it but being able to spot former pieces of a string while in another string below it would be really nifty.

Is there a terminal that already has this built in? so far I'm using gnome terminal and xterm but am happy to learn about others, what's your favorite terminal and why?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) The Senator, while claiming he was not intoxicated,
    (")_(") could not explain his nudity.

Beans

Re: CLI lovin

My favorite terminal is yakuake. It's KDE based and even though I use gnome I find it's worth installing the KDE library just to run it. Functionally it's just like any other terminal except it drops down/hides every time you press the f12 key (looks like one of those drop-down menus in quake). It has a *lot* more features then it's gnome counterpart tilda and unlike setting gnome-terminal to launch by pressing f12 when you make it go away it continues to run things in the background. It's really nice to be able to just hit a key, type in a command or two, then get back to browsing the web or whatever I happen to be doing while it runs. It's become a mandatory part of any linux account I use with any frequency and have enough access to configure.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by CylnZ View Post
    I find myself using the history function constantly
    I assume you've found out about the up arrow keybinding to display the previous command already. Have you tried Ctrl+R to search your history and display matches as you type ?
    This is the first age that's paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
    -- Arthur C. Clarke

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

@ donyhotay (great nym Mr. Ouixote) Thanks I use gnome but I'll install it and give it a try. ty

@ Mornedhel (from Raymond Feist?) The up arrow yes. The ctrl+R no, I didnt, Thanks alot! I'm using it on another system I'm updating right now.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) The Senator, while claiming he was not intoxicated,
    (")_(") could not explain his nudity.

Beans

Had to comment to say thanks for the ctrl+R info and lol'ing at the WKRP refernce in the sig!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Guake is like Yakuake, but uses Gtk+.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@donkyhotay and danielrmt

I'll have to give Guake or Yakuake a try when I get home. thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Guake is like Yakuake, but uses Gtk+.
    Didn't know about guake (only tilda), I'll have to check it out. I love yakuake but I'd prefer to get rid of the KDE libraries if I can. It wouldn't be an issue if I used KDE but it's really inefficient to have the entire KDE library installed for one little program.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

guys,which shortcut do you use to launch the terminal when you're using these programs?

i've tried to make it like quake and use the "~" button,but i can't use it with my arabic layout,as it conflicts with an arabic character.