Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for script to remove spaces from filenames

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: looking for script to remove spaces from filenames

Well if you can live with a GUI, try Thunar file manager. It has a powerful renaming tool and is a good file manager, similar to Nautilus. There are a myriad of ways to rename files, eg.removing characters, replacing characters in either the name itself or in the suffix.

All that being said, i would suggest that you not put a "dot" in the middle of the file names, I would suggest an underscore. The reason for this is that some Ubuntu programs seem to have a difficult time recognizing these names, e.g., DigiKam renaming tool.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i plan to *NOT* use the space bar when naming linux files and use the . instead

just busy converting a ton of data from windows to linux and the data will never see the light of windows ever again

<insert evil laugh here>

Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans

Hello,

I'm very impressed regarding the answers.
    Is it possible to limit the file name size at maximum 50 characters?

Thank you all,
    Marius Darie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm slowly switching from Windows 7 to Lucid, and have been using SpaceRemover to change my files from having spaces to having underscores. This naming scheme works in Solaris, which I use at college, so it should work in Ubuntu, right? Also, does it matter if folders (directories) have spaces in them? I've already added underscores to my folders in Windows that I want to transfer over, but I'd like to know anyway.

Thanks ^.^

Edit: Whoops, I just saw that this thread was marked as solved. Should I move it to a new thread?
    Dell Inspiron 1501, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN, 120GB SATA (Windows 7/Ubuntu Precise dual boot), 2GB DIMM DRAM, SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12