View Poll Results: What do you know about BBSs?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know what BBSs are and I used them (a little, a lot, etc.)

18 54.55%
  • I know what BBSs are but I never used them.

10 30.30%
  • What's a BBS?

5 15.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBS: The Documentary

Beans
    Hidden!

BBS: The Documentary

I started talking about this in the Revolution OS thread, but now I'm curious about BBSs and all of you folk.

Here's a couple links for you:

BBS: The Documentary

Wikipedia.org: Bulletin Board System

So, how many people here have used a BBS? Any (secretly) famous people here on UbuntuForums?

For my part, as a kid from about 1988 or 1989 through about 1995 or 1996 (memory is a bit fuzzy) I used to use a number of local BBSs here. I was on through what was known as "Net 371" and participated in a number of FidoNet echos, especially the Dr. Who and Star Trek ones, but a few others from time to time as well.

And here's another question, specifically directed at anyone here who was either a SysOp or an actual "power BBS user": Have any of you folks heard about or remember the user "BlueJean"? I believe the user was female, and her signature was "BlueJean, beware of frog".
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Re: BBS: The Documentary

I was on BBSes for years back in the early 90's. I was only like 10-12, and all I did was play Tradewars 2002 and the like and download shareware games. ^.^;
    3 apps that make Ubuntu more like a Mac
    How to make Ubuntu look and feel like Mac OS X

Tarutaru icon (c) 2001-2004 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Assuming that modern forums don't count, I have never used a BBS (in that era, I was busy learning how to read and the like.)
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

BBSes were cool when all we had was dialup. I used to visit a Wildcat and MajorBBS boards (all gone now) and used SLMR (Silly Little Mail Reader) so I could log on, send/upload all the outgoing stuff and download all the incoming stuff in a few minutes and get off the phone line to read and write offline to the History forum, Chitchat forums, Star Trek forums, and Christian forums.

I wish there was something like QWK/SLMR for web forums! That'd be awesome. There's something kinda-sorta like it for Windows (Forum Pilot) but not for Linux yet.

-Robin

Beans
    Hidden!

Towards the end there were some good mail readers for Mac OS, and I remember using them a bit. After all, the BBSs usually limited users' time on system to 1 hour per day, maybe 2 hours tops.

Doing all the reading and responding off-line made things so much more efficient.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Apparently my dad was heavily into BBSes when he was ~15-16. He says he ran a WWIV BBS and contributed some code to it.

Beans

I was heavily involved in the BBS scene, started some time in the early to mid 80s with single line C-Net boards on a C64. Also wrote some mods (external programs) for C-Net systems. Ended up running a board for awhile. A much greater sense of community in the BBS scene as opposed to what we have now with perverts and spammers all over.

Beans

I used BBS in the past when I connected with Ncomm software on my Amiga. This was a long time ago.

I'm not connecting to BBS:es anymore.
    Debian 8.0 "Jessie"
    HP laptop (15-ab064no-Nordic)
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I ran a Wildcat BBS for a couple of years in the 90's. As many have stated, the Internet forced most of us down. However, there is a committed group of BBS's that you can telnet to. Quite a few have the old door games up and running. Here's a link to get you started:

http://vert.synchro.net/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I ran two BBS's myself, and was a member of many more, including one which received national levels called "Missing Links BBS" Wildcat BBS softwares parent company, Mustang Software was started in my hometown. I got a copy of the Interactive Net server 20 node edition for my 14th birthday and ran a pretty big board for a while. Man, sometimes I really miss BBS's. They really were cool.

http://www.mlinks.com/
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast