Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation: OS X + multi-linux

v41 is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question installation: OS X + multi-linux

How difficult is it to install OSX + multiple flavors of Ubuntu on a single hard-drive? If it's fairly easy, then could you provide a link to some instructions? At present I have a standard setup with 4 partitions; EFI, OSX, Intrepid and Swap. Could this be reconfigured as 3 partitions -- EFI, OSX and Extended -- with Extended being subdivided into Logical Partitions containing several flavors of Ubuntu + Swap?
    macbook-4.1, OS-X.6 + Ubuntu-10.04 64-bit

Beans

Re: installation: OS X + multi-linux

well it is prety easy as long you don't bother putting up windows on one of partitons

refit tends to work pretty well

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: installation: OS X + multi-linux

Quote Originally Posted by majamba View Post
    well it is prety easy as long you don't bother putting up windows on one of partitons. Refit tends to work pretty well
    Sounds promising! I was hoping that it would be straightforward, but a google search didn't turn up any instructions so I became suspicious that there might be a problem.

(I do have Refit and Grub installed, and don't plan on installing *******.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You cannot create extended or logical partitions on a GPT disk.

OSX and your additional Linux partitions other than the "bootable" one can be on a partition greater than #4 no problem.

I think the work around for this that most people use is to create a single /boot partition for all your distros.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cyberdork33, thanks for clearing up my confusion about partitions!

Unfortunately I don't yet comprehend your comment that
    I think the work around for this that most people use is to create a single /boot partition for all your distros.
    At present OS X and Intrepid are installed, and I'd like to install Jaunty. Could this be done by first shrinking the Mac and Intrepid partitions using GParted, and then installing Jaunty from a CD to the largest area of free space on the disk? Could Intrepid and Jaunty use the same swap partition? Would there be a problem with having one copy of Grub on the Intrepid partition, and a second copy on the Jaunty Partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by v41 View Post
    Unfortunately I don't yet comprehend your comment
    You can create a single /boot partition for all your linux installations. You would have grub and the kernels for your distros there and you would use grub to choose to boot into either Ubuntu or whatever other distro.

At present OS X and Intrepid are installed, and I'd like to install Jaunty. Could this be done by first shrinking the Mac and Intrepid partitions using GParted, and then installing Jaunty from a CD to the largest area of free space on the disk?
    Yes... though I would not choose the "install to the largest free space" option for this. I would use the manual partitioner to create a new root partition for jaunty (making sure it was one of the first 4!) and installing as normal with grub on the new partition. There will not be any obvious way to discern between the two installs of grub in rEFIt other than looking at the partition number you are booting from.

Could Intrepid and Jaunty use the same swap partition?
    Certainly. In fact, I would recommend you do that. The only time this is an issue is if you use the hibernate function (suspend to disk) in one distro, then boot with the other when you turn your computer on. Not sure what the outcome would be, but you would lose whatever was on the swap partition I am sure. If you don't use hibernate (most don't) then this is not a problem.

Would there be a problem with having one copy of Grub on the Intrepid partition, and a second copy on the Jaunty Partition?
    Nope other than what I mentioned above about rEFIt.

NOTE: Please make sure to BACKUP everything before adjusting your partitions. Even on a good day this can lead to data loss.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Cyberdork33! I'll give it a try.

I would use the manual partitioner to create a new root partition for jaunty (making sure it was one of the first 4!) and installing as normal with grub on the new partition.
    Hmmm... I'm confused as to why the first four partitions are special on a GPT disk?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmm... I'm confused as to why the first four partitions are special on a GPT disk?
    The first 4 partitions are the partition listed in the emulated MBR partition table. Unfortunately, this is the table that grub currently uses to boot Ubuntu, so if it is not listed there, you cannot boot it!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The first 4 partitions are the partition listed in the emulated MBR partition table. Unfortunately, this is the table that grub currently uses to boot Ubuntu, so if it is not listed there, you cannot boot it!

Aha! I think this is what I half-remembered when posting the original question at the top of the thread. Now I understand why people want to find an alternative to grub. Speaking of which, I read that Karmic will use grub2, though I don't know whether it also uses the MBR partition table.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Aha! I think this is what I half-remembered when posting the original question at the top of the thread. Now I understand why people want to find an alternative to grub. Speaking of which, I read that Karmic will use grub2, though I don't know whether it also uses the MBR partition table.
    grub-efi boots using the native EFI process... i.e. more like OS X. However, there are some bugs to work out when booting that way. I am unsure if the normal version of GRUB2 reads the GPT or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast