Thread: Internet Browsers and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Internet Browsers and Ubuntu

Alright guys, I am at a loss here. I am having some major trouble with the performance of internet browsers in ubuntu. I have always had problems with memory use and retention in firefox and I tried the "peacekeeper browser benchmark" thing and scored only a 500 in both firefox and opera, which is terrible. I also have problems with the flash player in firefox. When ever I am trying to play some stupid internet games it is dreadfully slow.

I was wondering if it was just my system being slow... So I booted up xp and I had none of these problems. The browser benchmark for google chrome under xp ranks up high, as it should.

Then I started wondering if it had something to do with my graphics configuration. The graphics have always been touchy. I have and NVidia geforce4 MX 64MB. I use the "NVidia accelerated graphics driver version 96" which was auto-detected by the hardware drivers manager. I did try install the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.11-pkg1.run" driver for my card, but that always fails miserably...

any ideas guys?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Internet Browsers and Ubuntu

Hello

I had the ability to do some side by side comparisons of browsers on my jaunty and intrepid systems.

I just got really fed up with FF.

I had one application in particular where there seemed to be an awfully slow response time when working with it and used that application as a bench mark to compare other browsers.

I tried FF and swiftweasel and found them the same with no major differences, you would expect that.

Then I did Opera and epiphany against FF, and both were definately better against my application then FF, I did think that Epiphany was better then Opera.

Finally I tested seamonkey and I believed seamoney had the best performance of the lot, but that iss just me.
    You can tell a man who boozes by the company he chooses, as the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could try these:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1152095
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1146943

I have increased Firefox performance by almost 200% with those tips, but I still get less points than you on Peacekeeper.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    You could try these:

I have increased Firefox performance by almost 200% with those tips, but I still get less points than you on Peacekeeper.

This is so wierd, but, When I did this, my peacekeeper score fell down 20% and flash is slow as ever. I am starting to think that SOME of the problem may be my video driver. I have and NVidia geforce4 MX 64MB. I use the "NVidia accelerated graphics driver version 96" which was auto-detected by the hardware drivers manager. I did try install the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.11-pkg1.run" driver for my card, but that always fails miserably...

I tried logging into a terminal only thing, but I dont think I really know how to properly do that. I booted with the system recovery option in GRUB and found a terminal from there. Then I get runlevel problems and blah blah blah

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Belka View Post
    This is so wierd, but, When I did this, my peacekeeper score fell down 20% and flash is slow as ever. I am starting to think that SOME of the problem may be my video driver. I have and NVidia geforce4 MX 64MB. I use the "NVidia accelerated graphics driver version 96" which was auto-detected by the hardware drivers manager. I did try install the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-96.43.11-pkg1.run" driver for my card, but that always fails miserably...
    It doesn't work well for you probably because the MX cards are kind of old and don't support the most recent features. I'm just guessing tho.

Beans
    Distro

yeah, ha ha, it happens to be ULTRA-LEGACY HARDWARE!!!!

so yeah, maybe that is my problem....

oh well, thank you for the help : )

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Belka View Post
    yeah, ha ha, it happens to be ULTRA-LEGACY HARDWARE!!!!

so yeah, maybe that is my problem....

oh well, thank you for the help : )
    No need to be sarcastic. I'm just trying to help. I'm saying this because I had a Geforce MX in the past. It was not very powerful and couldn't render pixel shader, which prevented me from running several modern games.

I'm just saying that the extra options introduced in the xorg.conf file could not work with this particular card model, not because it is not ULTRA-LEGACY HARDWARE, but because they might not be available for that card.

DeMus is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    You could try these:

How do you mean: less point on Peacekeeper?
    What is Peacekeeper and what can I do with it?

Nevermind. My friend Google found it.
    Last edited by DeMus; June 20th, 2009 at 08:04 AM.