Thread: itunes/emusic

Beans

itunes/emusic

I recently switched to Ubuntu from Windows - first time ever using Linux. I always used iTunes with Windows. This discussion has nothing to do with DRM - I really couldn't care less about that - I'm just trying to find a good way to legally download music with Ubuntu.

If there's a way to make iTunes work with Ubuntu, I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise, I'm trying to give eMusic a shot, but I'm having difficulty installing the download manager. Obviously, I'm completely new to this, and I'm sure it's something simple... but when I ran Synaptic, it claimed the package was installed successfully, but I can't find the program anywhere in Applications. I also downloaded the tar.gz file, but after extracting that, I couldn't figure out what to do from there.

Any help in any way - eMusic, iTunes, or otherwise - would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: itunes/emusic

you can download music from amazon just fine
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Songbird is a great iTunes alternative. I actually prefer it to iTunes on a PC as well. It has a iPod support plugin you can get which allows you to sync with your iPod and other devices.

I've also gotten iTunes to run in wine.

Beans

You might find some music you like at Jamendo. It's all free to download and share (Creative Commons licenses).

Beans

You might try lala.com. It's DRM free (I think), and you can listen to every song all the way through one time for free. I normally just use it to preview music, but it seems like a good service.

I usually just buy CD's, though. I guess I'm old fashioned .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cthulhu View Post
    I usually just buy CD's, though. I guess I'm old fashioned .
    i buy vinyl records when i can find them, nice user name though.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.