Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't find software to convert .dmg's to .iso's on ubuntu 9.04/linux mint 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Can't find software to convert .dmg's to .iso's on ubuntu 9.04/linux mint 7

This is probably an off-topic question, but I am trying to convert 4 .dmg files to .iso files on my Linux Mint 7 install. I can't find ANYTHING to use that actually works and I am extremely mad. Also, the first three files are around 650 MB and the 4th one is about 100 MB, if that helps.

[EDIT]: I just realized I put it in the wrong section. Please move it, somebody.
    Last edited by linuxluver; June 18th, 2009 at 04:33 AM.
    I got my avatar from the Tux Factory.
    Learning French and Japanese simultaneously! オースティンジョーンズ日本語学習を楽しんで!

Re: Can't find software to convert .dmg's to .iso's on ubuntu 9.04/linux mint 7

[EDIT]: I just realized I put it in the wrong section. Please move it, somebody.
    Moved to absolute beginners.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not sure, I know on the mac, all I have to do is simply change the name, from .dmg to .iso, after doing so, programs like virtual pc can now read and use the file. I don't know enough about the differences between disk image files to know exactly if they are the same, but with differnt names, or if it is programming differences. have you googled it?

Beans
    Distro

1234- the files are the install discs for Mac OS X that I got from BitTorrent, so, no, changing the file extension wouldn't work because it's formatted in HFS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by linuxluver View Post
    1234- the files are the install discs for Mac OS X that I got from BitTorrent, so, no, changing the file extension wouldn't work because it's formatted in HFS.
    The admins on this forum are strongly against pirating, although I will admit I am a pirate

So, lets just forget you said that. . .

But I would like to know how you can do this, also. Would the convert command do it? I don't have any dmg files with me right now.

Beans
    Distro

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with "convert".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by K.Y.A View Post
    although I will admit I am a pirate
    This may be considered off-topic, but I for one strongly oppose piracy. There needs to be a strong international coalition to make sure the seven seas become and remain a safe place for cargo and passenger shipping, free of marauding bands of heavily armed criminals seeking to plunder and pillage.

Alternately, you may be confessing to copying a bunch of bytes digitally without the proper license. I'd say that hardly qualifies as piracy, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linuxluver View Post
    I'm afraid I'm not familiar with "convert".
    Convert is a terminal application for converting file types.

For instance:

Code:
    convert /home/username/mac.dmg /home/username/mac.iso

Beans
    Distro

WTF? The seven seas!? Besides, my parents want my iMac G3 fixed up soon because our old laptop blew up.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
    This may be considered off-topic, but I for one strongly oppose piracy. There needs to be a strong international coalition to make sure the seven seas become and remain a safe place for cargo and passenger shipping, free of marauding bands of heavily armed criminals seeking to plunder and pillage.

Alternately, you may be confessing to copying a bunch of bytes digitally without the proper license. I'd say that hardly qualifies as piracy, and I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    I'm not the type of pirate that kills people or steals from cargo vessels.

I would do the latter, download a few bytes illegally. But, who cares? Not me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast