Page 54 of 109 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Hello,

I'm on karmic on PC :

Linux ubuntu 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

QtSixa detect my ps3 controller, i can associate on bluetooth (blinking and after a while a single light on number 1), but controler do not works.

Signal quality is always 0% and Battery status 0/5.

I can see it on dmesg :

[10979.083490] input: PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (00:24:34:66:18:99) as /devices/virtual/input/input19

I tried a jstest /dev/input/js0 but nothing. (this command works on usb mode).

Any idea?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gopher38 View Post
    Hi,

Looking for help on this. I'm trying to get this running on a PS3 with Jaunty. Just trying to use the SixAxis as a mouse and for MAME. I know the first question will be, "Why Jaunty?". Well, I'm familiar with Jaunty, so I tried that first. Couldn't get it to work, so I went to Karmic, but I had more serious issues with the screen, sound, and other flaky behaviour, so I'm back to Jaunty. Also, I know that this works at least on a laptop using Jaunty, because I got it to work on my HP Pavilion. Besides, I only want to use the SixAxis as a mouse, so I don't care about some of the new features. So, I'm back to trying Jaunty on the PS3. I believe that this combination will work, but if someone knows that it definitely will not work (like this falkTX, who seems to know everything), please give me a heads up.

Anyway, I'm on jaunty and I'm pretty sure that I read that you first have to install this:

libbluetooth3_4.51-0ubuntu2_powerpc.deb

So I downloaded and installed it with no problems. I then downloaded this:

QtSixA-1.2.1-DEBs.zip

And installed this file:

sixad_1.2.1-0ubuntu0+karmic1_powerpc.deb

And then this:

qtsixa_1.2.1-0ubuntu0+karmic1_all.deb

I know that they both say "karmic" on them, but I believe that they are the right files. They worked on my Pavilion with Jaunty anyway, and seemed to install correctly on the PS3.

So I thought I'd be OK, but I can't get the thing to work. QtSixA sees the SixAxis (address listed in connected devices), both on bluetooth and through USB. I can select the hidraw device, but when I hit apply, one of two things happens: a) it seems to work but I still don't see any reaction when I move the joysticks, or b) it gives me an error message that it can't start the sixad driver. There aren't any lights on the sixaxis either.

So couple of questions to start. Can anyone:

a) confirm that the sixaxis will work as a mouse on the PS3 with jaunty?

b) tell me if I'm using the correct packages?
    libbluetooth3_4.51-0ubuntu2_powerpc.deb
    sixad_1.2.1-0ubuntu0+karmic1_powerpc.deb
    qtsixa_1.2.1-0ubuntu0+karmic1_all.deb

c) give me any hints on what I might try next?

Muchos gracias.

Hi!
    First of all, "like this falkTX, who seems to know everything"... well, I developed QtSixA, so I think it's normal that I know how it works...

Here's the answers
    a)Yes, they will work.
    b)Everything seems fine
    c) Try this:
    1-Disconnect all Sixaxis and use "Force Connection" in the menu.
    2-run "sixad --start" from a terminal

Note that, when connecting trough bluetooth, you know it's working when 1 LED lights up (instead of all just flashing)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gloarb View Post
    Hello,

I'm on karmic on PC :

Linux ubuntu 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

QtSixa detect my ps3 controller, i can associate on bluetooth (blinking and after a while a single light on number 1), but controler do not works.

Signal quality is always 0% and Battery status 0/5.

I can see it on dmesg :

[10979.083490] input: PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (00:24:34:66:18:99) as /devices/virtual/input/input19

I tried a jstest /dev/input/js0 but nothing. (this command works on usb mode).

Any idea?

Thanks.
    Can you try to re-compile QtSixA ?

1 - get source code
    2 - install packages "libbluetooth-dev libusb-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libdbus-1-dev"
    3 - open a terminal with "cd <where-you-extracted-(folder)>" and run: "debuild -rfakeroot"

It will then build 2 deb files (don't worry about the signature error).
    Install these 2 deb files, reboot and please report if anything changes.

Sorry that I don't have a PS3 to test these things...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by falkTX View Post
    Hi!
    First of all, "like this falkTX, who seems to know everything"... well, I developed QtSixA, so I think it's normal that I know how it works...

Here's the answers
    a)Yes, they will work.
    b)Everything seems fine
    c) Try this:
    1-Disconnect all Sixaxis and use "Force Connection" in the menu.
    2-run "sixad --start" from a terminal

Note that, when connecting trough bluetooth, you know it's working when 1 LED lights up (instead of all just flashing)
    Hi falkTX. Very impressive work. I can't get much beyond "main() {"

Are you really in Portugal? I was in Lisbon last year and loved it. Beautiful city and I topped off every evening with some of that Ginjinha (sp?) liquor at a stand in the city center. If you're there, you're a lucky guy.

Regarding qtsixa, first, thanks for confirming that people have made it work on the PS3 with Jaunty. That is helpful. This is what I've learned so far. I think the order that you do things the first time is very important, and if you don't do it correctly, you can break it and not get it back. For instance, when you confirmed that this would work on the PS3, I went to my Pavilion to try to repeat what I'd done there. The SixAxis had been working perfectly on the Pavilion for several days. I cleared the profiles, reset everything and then tried to connect again. This time, I must have done a different order to things, because I was never able to get it to reconnect. Furthermore, I started getting the same error about sixad not being able to start the driver. I then removed both the qtsixa and sixad packets and re-installed them, but I then couldn't even start qtsixa (!!!). When I started from the command line, I found out that the problem was that qtsixa was dying when it tried to create the .qtsixa directory which still existed from the first install. I deleted it, and then qtsixa could start, but there were still profiles remaining from first install (still using Gnome as a profile). Still couldn't get it to connect either. Specifically, the step where you select hidraw2 and hit "apply" hangs, until you unplug the sixaxis, when it then gives you a "couldn't start driver" message. I did a cntl-c one time from the command line and I think it might hang while trying to write something in /usr/share/qtsixa/qui/qtsixa.pyw. Not sure about that though.

Anyway, I've got to get back to work, but I'll keep experimenting. Great work on this. I had it going and working great on one of my machines. Like I said though, I think you have to do things in a precise order the first time you set it up, and if you break it, it's tough to get it back. I'm going to keep trying though.
    Last edited by gopher38; March 31st, 2010 at 06:23 PM.

Beans

Little more experimentation.

On both my systems, when I try to apply the sixad driver to hidraw2, it hangs. "ps -e | grep six" shows qtsixa and sixad-raw running. If I kill the sixad-raw process, then I get the "The sixad driver could not start" message. Same thing if I physically unplug the SixAxis; I get the message. So this sixad-raw process is hanging on me for some reason.

Incidentally, I thought that maybe sixad should be running beforehand, so I manually started them before running qtsixa. No difference. Same behavior.

falkTX, if I wanted to completely clean the slate and try again from the beginning (remembering that I DID have this working at one time), are there things I should delete in addition to .qtsixa and uninstalling qtsixa and sixad? /usr/share/qtsixa ?? Anything else? Thanks.
    Last edited by gopher38; March 31st, 2010 at 09:06 PM.

Beans

Can you try to re-compile QtSixA ?

1 - get source code
    2 - install packages "libbluetooth-dev libusb-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libdbus-1-dev"
    3 - open a terminal with "cd <where-you-extracted-(folder)>" and run: "debuild -rfakeroot"

It will then build 2 deb files (don't worry about the signature error).
    Install these 2 deb files, reboot and please report if anything changes.

Sorry that I don't have a PS3 to test these things...
    Read ps and ps2 first!

I successfull created and installed the 2 deb files, rebooted, and same thing.

Signal quality 0%, Battery 0/5 and controler do not control anything.

I still see it on "List of connected devices".

I am on a pc, not on a PS3.

Thanks!

ps: I tried on another PC (x64)(same bluetooth dongle)(ubuntu karmic x64)... Same thing.
    ps2: I tried on another PC with another bluetooth (minipci), it works!!

So my bluetooth dongle isn't compatible. Weird, because it works with my wiimote.

here is macs address of my 2 incompatible dongles:
    00:15:83:15:a2:36
    00:15:83:15:a3:74
    Last edited by gloarb; April 1st, 2010 at 12:31 AM.

Beans

More experimentation. Got it working again on my Pavilion. Know what I had to do? Reset the SixAxis using the pinhole on the back. Did that and it connected right away. I'll try on the PS3 tomorrow. Ciao.

EDIT: yeah, got it working on PS3 too, using the legacy drivers. Reseting the sixaxis was key for me whenever I ran into problems.
    Last edited by gopher38; April 2nd, 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Beans

Thanks guys for not giving up easily. I know my code it's not perfect, but I'm learning everyday how to be a better programmer.

For those who need sixad-raw, simply running:
    Code:
    sudo sixad-raw /dev/hidrawX
    (Change "X" to the dev #)
    This will activate the sixad-raw driver without need to go trough the GUI.

Sorry that I forgot to say this, but on PS3/Jaunty you need to activate "Legacy USB driver" in QtSixA -> Sixaxis Settings. Karmic users don't need this.
    You should also try to enable "UInput at boot" and reboot the system if it still doesn't work.

I'm now a little busy with another project (http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/), but I'll make some time to code QtSixA again.
    My idea is to rewrite the code (maybe PyKDE?), and start working on Rumble too.

And thanks for all the people that has been donating!
    I'll get a DualShock3 soon thanks to you guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Sorry that I forgot to say this, but on PS3/Jaunty you need to activate "Legacy USB driver" in QtSixA -> Sixaxis Settings. Karmic users don't need this.
    This is not related to QtSixa, but, speaking of Linux PS3, if you want to keep Other_OS and get online access, follow this link, it should aid you.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1447304

Hope it helps! (Will only work if you haven't updated to version 3.21)

Beans

Does someone know if it's possible to use a third-party wireless controller with a special usb dongle? Seems to be this one: http://www.tinydeal.com/wireless-dua...01-p-1650.html

Page 54 of 109 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast