Page 33 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Quote Originally Posted by Slumz187 View Post
    elfraser, i get the same errors, the same connections, and everything..we both must be running ubuntu 9.04 on the ps3, from what I understand now is that its a issue with our kernel and uinput...the uinput is created but is not communicating with the qtsixa program... my device is actually recognized as a touchpad...test it out for me after connecting with the legacy driver..just click on something with your mouse and press the ps button a couple of times and see if selects or highlights any text!

there is no solution yet man unfortunately!
    Yup, I just discovered that too (about the PS button acting as a mouse click).
    Sorry for over-sharing, I just figured I would provide as much info as possible.

Beans

I need to ask you, PS3 guys, to update to Karmic as soon as it is released.
    I've tested my program mainly on Karmic, and from my conversations with Okiura, karmic will work even without the legacy driver.

Just be sure to install using the correct ISO. Once karmic is released it will be here:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/karmic/
    (be sure to select the PS3 Alternate CD)

Beans

Update:
    I noticed the notifications were not starting... fixed now (update, disable and enable notifications again to apply it).

I also made a presentation video for QtSixA:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLhvQ3PtV2Q

My plans now are:
    1 - search for possible bugs in QtSixA/sixad and fix them
    2 - Release 1.0 (upload for KDE-Apps and sourceforge too)
    3 - Finish QtSixA webpage (qtsixa.sourceforge.net)
    4 - Make QtSixA package go to Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04)
    x - Maybe a PPA repo?

v1.0 should be finished next week
    Last edited by falkTX; October 28th, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

Beans

For thoose that use the legacy on PS3 and it still doesnt work i might have a workaround. Previously i ran into a similar issue with my keyboard/trackball combo, trackball was detected as synaptic touchpad. Turns out there is a bug with hal/ppc that makes synaptic detect on all sorts of devices. The bug is here.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...al/+bug/351059

So one workaround is simply to remove the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Or do as sugested in the comments and quote away a line in the fdi for synaptic so it doesnt gets used. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...59/comments/11

Im currently on karmic on my ps3 and after doing the second woraround to get my mouse working and then enabling legacy, reboot and then conected via bluetooth and jstest spits out numbers at me. But i recall having the same issue before on jaunty as well so worth a try for thoose that have problems.

Beans

thanks digge.
    Maybe I should make sixad conflict with the synaptics package on PowerPC?
    Does removing that package hurts anything on the PS3?

Beans

The problem with removing the package is that its a dependency of other meta packages, like for instance if you want to install lxde desktop, lubuntu-desktop the synaptics package is a dependency and you would probably get into a bad spiral there where you cant have both. Have no idea why they made it requirement btw, should rather be a recommended download.

Thats why i opted for the second approach cause then i can have the dependency installed and dont get issues with dependencies all over the place.

EDIT: Not sure how viable this solution would be but maybe you could do the editing of the fdi file from your installer if PS3 is detected?

EDIT2: The problem will probably be fixed sometime, and there might even be someone with a touchpad attached through usb or something who knows that its not so good to disable synaptic for.
    Last edited by digge; October 28th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by digge View Post
    The problem with removing the package is that its a dependency of other meta packages, like for instance if you want to install lxde desktop, lubuntu-desktop the synaptics package is a dependency and you would probably get into a bad spiral there where you cant have both. Have no idea why they made it requirement btw, should rather be a recommended download.

Thats why i opted for the second approach cause then i can have the dependency installed and dont get issues with dependencies all over the place.
    Ok, thanks for letting me know.
    What do you think about a post-installation script that check for those lines and delete them automatically?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by falkTX View Post
    Ok, thanks for letting me know.
    What do you think about a post-installation script that check for those lines and delete them automatically?
    Well, i dont know if this is only ubuntu that have these problems, or if any ppc linux have it. Maybe you could make the program detect if its detected as synaptic and if it is comment out that line in that file and suggest a reboot? Hopefully you could remove that code after a while once the bug gets fixed.

Tell me if you need a sample output from dmesg or syslog or something when it gets detected wrong. Dont remember what log i found it in, maybe it was the xorg log file.

EDIT: problem being it gets a bit hard to navigate without the mouse
    Last edited by digge; October 28th, 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Beans

Here are the interesting lines from Xorg.0.log
    Code:
    (II) config/hal: Adding input device Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller
    (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 1.1.2
    (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event3"
    (--) Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller: no supported touchpad found
    (EE) Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
    (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller"
    (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
    (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
    And here is how it looks after commenting that line.
    Code:
    (II) config/hal: Adding input device Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller
    (**) Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller: always reports core events
    (**) Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
    (II) Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller: Found x and y absolute axes
    (WW) Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller: Don't know how to use device
    (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
    (EE) PreInit returned NULL for "Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Controller"
    (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
    Odd thing is that joystick worked for me on both occasions i think, so maybe its not related, but sounds related since some here claim it registers mouseclicks.
    Last edited by digge; October 28th, 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by digge View Post
    For thoose that use the legacy on PS3 and it still doesnt work i might have a workaround. Previously i ran into a similar issue with my keyboard/trackball combo, trackball was detected as synaptic touchpad. Turns out there is a bug with hal/ppc that makes synaptic detect on all sorts of devices. The bug is here.

Or do as sugested in the comments and quote away a line in the fdi for synaptic so it doesnt gets used. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...59/comments/11
    I did this (second) work around, commenting out part of the fdi.
    It did the trick . . . sort of. THANKS!

I can now use both controllers. However, both are mapping to the same output. Not sure if this is a SixA problem or the conflict with the PPC.

I had unchecked the box for "Use Sixaxis as a mouse" but instead had assigned each controller it's own profile (Fake JS 1 and Fake JS 2).

I will play around with some other configurations to see if I can get them to map to different things.

UPDATE: Both controllers work great, each with it's own independent location. The problem I was experiencing was due to the inputs I'd assigned in the program I was using. Thanks, for all your help, everyone!
    Last edited by elfraser; October 29th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.

Page 33 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast