Page 22 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Update:
    The launchpad and sourceforge pages have been created. There's not too much there to see yet...

https://launchpad.net/qtsixa
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtsixa/

Beans

Update: QtSixA 0.5.0 is released!
    Changelog:
    Code:
    qtsixa (0.5.0-falktx1) unstable;

* Added "Fake Joystick 2" profile by aatu_kanifani
      * Added "xdg-utils" as debian dependency (needed for opening web pages)
      * Disconnect a device now uses DBus, which doesn't need root
      * Added python-dbus as debian dependency
      * The GUI is ready for real usage!
      * Release 0.5.0

sixad (0.5-falktx1) unstable;

* Forgotten check for "LED_plus=X" (was always "yes", now fixed)
      * Removed bluez-sixa as debian dependency
      * Drop LPIA architecture support (LPIA users can safely use i386 binaries)
      * Set bluetooth restore timeout to 10 seconds (was 15)

This is the result of my weekend work, I hope you enjoy it.
    As always, feel free to ask something, report a bug or post an idea

See ya soon
    falkTX

Beans

Hmm, seems like sixad doesn't always (re)start properly or something. Anyway, I have to start sixad manually in terminal to (re)connect successfully. I haven't yet tried with two controllers.

And it seems that disconnect (any of them) doesn't work, but maybe that's because of manually starting sixad. It disconnects when I terminate the sixad, though.

The update process gave some problems, but "Fix broken packages" in synaptic sorted that out. And the new GUI is great, very snappy. I think the sound problems are also gone. I think there were few, but either I can't get them to reappear anymore or they're so minor errors that I can't properly notice them anymore.

Didn't try creating profiles or using overrides. I'll probably try the overrides on Saturday when I go meet my brother and try 2 controllers.

Beans

Thanks for testing that out. I'm about to buy a new "Sixaxis" controller (a crappy imitation, but it's new device that will be compatible with sixad).

The reason you're not able to disconnect devices it's because it now depends on dbus ("org.bluez"), which only starts some time after a controller has been connected (needs to be turned off for the connection to be made). I'll make the disconnect error display this info soon

There's also a bug when starting KDEsu (only happens once per session). I'll fix that soon too.

@aatu_kanifani: wouldn't you mind to make a few tests so I can know for sure why sixad is not auto-start in your system?

Beans

I think initially sixad DID autostart on my laptop (at least it connected OK and the profiles worked without manually starting anything). But only on the first time, not anymore... On desktop, never.

Still using 9.04 32bit. qtsixa reports QT's as:
    Main Qt version: 4.5.0
    Python-Qt version: 4.4.4

Regarding tests: sure, I can try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aatu_kanifani View Post
    I think initially sixad DID autostart on my laptop (at least it connected OK and the profiles worked without manually starting anything). But only on the first time, not anymore... On desktop, never.

Still using 9.04 32bit. qtsixa reports QT's as:
    Main Qt version: 4.5.0
    Python-Qt version: 4.4.4

Regarding tests: sure, I can try.
    First test (just to make sure if the problem is with Jaunty).
    Can you get a Karmic (beta) Live CD, install QtSixA and see if Sixaxis auto-connects?
    Code:
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/karmic-desktop-i386.iso
    I'm not sure if the problem are old versions of UDev/BlueZ/HAL, but would be nice to know whatever it will be fully functional on Karmic or not
    I use Karmic already, and sixad always auto-starts correctly

Beans

Update:
    I bought a new Sixaxis (an imitation one, to add support for it in sixad), and that joystick is... weird...
    It uses a USB radio-signal? (like an IR device) that connects to the joystick in wireless mode.

Linux recognizes it and creates a basic controller, but this one is even worst than the Linux Sixaxis driver (30 axis... 13 buttons - 3 are missing!)
    But the good thing is that it generates a hidraw device. I used 'hidraw-dump' (included in the sixad package) to get all possible data from it. It reports data just like a normal Sixaxis, but the accelerometer values doesn't change (I guess it's there just for PS3 compatibility). It also reports 2 more data packets than the original Sixaxis.

Since the default Linux driver only makes it with 13 buttons, the last 3 (X, [], and PS) don't work... So I tried to apply the sixad-raw to the hidraw device...
    I needed to do some small modifications to the code and ...voilá! It fully works now.

The joystick is a NPlay PS3-88602

Beans

Okay, so I tried the beta Koala. It worked ok. Also tried with 9.04 livecd, but that required manual sixad to connect.

A side note: sometimes terminal says sixad is already running, even though System Monitor doesn't see it. If I don't manually stop and restart it, it won't let me connect. (this is in Jaunty)

Regarding two controllers:
    Got the controllers working with 9.04 (with both HD-installed and livecd). With overrides also. Didn't remember to try in Koala, but I'd guess it wouldn't have caused problems...

Hmm, but now that I got home and tried it again on my desktop machine, I can't get it to connect at all on Jaunty. I even tried removing the current versions and reinstalling from the deb-files. On laptop it still works through manual sixad.

Beans

Okay, so I tried the beta Koala. It worked ok. Also tried with 9.04 livecd, but that required manual sixad to connect.
    Are you saying that, on the same PC, Karmic auto-connects Sixaxis while, in Jaunty, you always have to start it manually?

A side note: sometimes terminal says sixad is already running, even though System Monitor doesn't see it. If I don't manually stop and restart it, it won't let me connect. (this is in Jaunty)
    Not sure about this, but maybe because sixad is runned top-privileged, regular users can't see it. If that happens again, please try "ps -e | grep sixad": if it prints anything, then sixad is running

Regarding two controllers:
    Got the controllers working with 9.04 (with both HD-installed and livecd). With overrides also. Didn't remember to try in Koala, but I'd guess it wouldn't have caused problems...
    They work fine in Karmic (I've tested that myself)

Hmm, but now that I got home and tried it again on my desktop machine, I can't get it to connect at all on Jaunty. I even tried removing the current versions and reinstalling from the deb-files. On laptop it still works through manual sixad.
    Something really strange is going on... Have you tried to pair yours Sixaxis again?

Beans

Here's my little "test quiz" just to find out why the heck sixad doesn't, sometimes, work properly on Jaunty. (seems to be working fine on Karmic).

Part 1 - Quick answers

1 - What's you GNU/Linux version and architecture?
    Code:
    uname -a
    2 - What's your UDev version?
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep udev
    3 - What's you BlueZ version?
    Code:
    dpkg -l | grep bluez
    4 - When you first start a clean desktop session, what does this commmand reports?
    Code:
    ps -e | grep sixa
    5 - Do you have a bluetooth pen/device plugged-in?
    Code:
    hcitool dev
    6 - At startup, do you use any bluetooth hardware (mice, keyboards, etc) besides Sixaxis?
    Code:
    hcitool con
    7 - Have you paired your(s) Sixaxis?
    Yes or no?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2 - Reporting data

1 - At session startup, before doing anything else, please run:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/bluetooth status; /etc/init.d/sixad status
    At startup, bluetooth should be running and sixad should not.

2 - Press the PS button on 1 Sixaxis and keep running that command every 2 seconds.
    Code:
    Once you press the PS button, bluetooth should stop and sixad run. Then, 10 seconds later bluetooth will start again while sixad is still running

3 - Disconnect that Sixaxis and press the button again. Keep running every 2 seconds:
    Code:
    The bluetooth should stop while sixad is always running. As before, bluetooth should restore/start 10 seconds after pressing PS.

Please, Ubuntu users - report what happens to you!
    Last edited by falkTX; October 7th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Page 22 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast